Roach Help

Barry C

Hi all, I am new to this forum lark so here goes. I have not done any coarse fishing since my early twenties nearly 40 years ago. Things have changed massively since then but I am still having great fun catching roach on my local reservoir. Now here is my problem. I have done well this year with roach up to 10-12 oz. but the carp anglers tell me that they frequently catch roach up to 2 lbs. on boilies and carp tackle. Does anyone have any ideas how I could target the bigger roach without using carp tacktics and hoping NOT to hook a carp. It seems that if I use Roach sized baits they are quickly found and tacken by the smaller fish. If I step up the size the small fish just push it around until one manages to get it in there mouth. Have tried maggots, casters, meat, bread flake, sweet corn, worms and various pastes, all with similar results. Corn was best in the summer but casters or maggots seem better since the weather turned colder. I float fish when I can or use a feeder when it gets rough.

Barry

Hi all, I am new to this forum lark so here goes. I have not done any coarse fishing since my early twenties nearly 40 years ago. Things have changed massively since then but I am still having great fun catching roach on my local reservoir. Now here is my problem. I have done well this year with roach up to 10-12 oz. but the carp anglers tell me that they frequently catch roach up to 2 lbs. on boilies and carp tackle. Does anyone have any ideas how I could target the bigger roach without using carp tacktics and hoping NOT to hook a carp. It seems that if I use Roach sized baits they are quickly found and tacken by the smaller fish. If I step up the size the small fish just push it around until one manages to get it in there mouth. Have tried maggots, casters, meat, bread flake, sweet corn, worms and various pastes, all with similar results. Corn was best in the summer but casters or maggots seem better since the weather turned colder. I float fish when I can or use a feeder when it gets rough.

Barry

Hi Barry, welcome to the site. Seems like ure doing ok, although you could try pellets but be prepared to catch F1s.

Yogi. :thumbs:

Take nothing but photo's.

Leave nothing but footprints.

Kill nothing but time.

Hi Barry. The carp guys are probably guestimating the weights and may be looking at fish the size you are catching then thinking they are larger.

You might want to watch them and see what sorts of fish they are actually catching. Some of the boilies are really just pellet size while some are nearer to golf ball but since neither is attached to the hook, you really need to get an experienced (non carper) eyeball on their results.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have fished for Roach in matches for the last 20 odd years and have never caught a two pounder, they are not as common as some would have you believe, however, if I were targeting large Roach specifically , I would use breadflake or Hemp and Tares, the Hemp would be loose fed and I would impale a Tare onto a size 16 or 14 hook, breadflake would be my first choice in clear water conditions though.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Following on from Bob's reply, withwhich I agree, I would add that catching a two pounder is only second in difficulty to finding a two pounder. Some waters just don't produce such monsters!

And Bob, 'I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!', are you sure? ;)

Hi barry.

Just following on from what has already been said. The only thing i can suggest, is what seems to work for me on where i fish to get the better roach, which is not to say it works on other waters is that...for the first hour or two, i feed maggot, and 4 or 5 bits of sweet corn...resist using the corn for a while, but enjoy the smaller roach, but keep feeding the maggots and 4 or 5 bits of sweet corn.

then after an hour or 2, change to sweet corn, but keep feeding maggots, 4 or 5 bits of corn. the smaller fish seem to then take the maggots, and the larger roach, with a bit on confidence have moved in also. and tend to take the larger bait, and leave the maggot alone, which you have been catching on...fool them into think this is a safer food to eat.

jworks where i fish anyway,

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

Following on from Bob's reply, withwhich I agree, I would add that catching a two pounder is only second in difficulty to finding a two pounder. Some waters just don't produce such monsters!

And Bob, 'I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!', are you sure? ;)

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]