Portable fish finders

s_mac

Was on ebay browsing the fishing section. and saw these portable fish finders.

Just wodered has anyone tried them, what they like, are they a useful aid during the winter months should they work..

or are you in the opinion that we should use our wits against the fish, as we have always done.

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

If its wrong to use a fishfinder then it is wrong to use an electronic bite indicator. They are useful, more for mapping the bottom rather than finding fish, although that can be a bonus. They don't find pike laying on the bottom during the winter though! The 'ping' frm a finder works off inflated swim bladders, and pike deflate theirs when laying on the bottom.

If its wrong to use a fishfinder then it is wrong to use an electronic bite indicator. They are useful, more for mapping the bottom rather than finding fish, although that can be a bonus. They don't find pike laying on the bottom during the winter though! The 'ping' frm a finder works off inflated swim bladders, and pike deflate theirs when laying on the bottom.

I have nothing against them, was thinking about getting one myself, just wondered what peoples thoughts were, one thing i had not considered that you mentioned which is a very valid and helpful point, was the mapping of a venue.

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

Guest Brumagem Phil

A couple of people promised an update on the ones sold at Aldi in the spring.........did anyone actually do a follow up on these?

i still haven't tried the one i got from Lidl months ago

(the one on a long wire)

was going to take it to Ullswater for use on the dinghy, but forgot it in the end :wallbash:

is that the one you mean B-Phil ?

i'll take it on my next outing to the pond, and report back  :thumbs:

IPB Image

I got the Hummingbird RF15E for Christmas and plan to use it to map the bottom of various swims, as Peter has suggested and also to use as an electronic plummet.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

i've thought about getting one of the Hummingbird ones, at some point.

am i right in saying you have to change the little sensor unit from time to time, or do you get spare batteries for it?

i heard from someone they only last so long, but didn't know if they meant the battery, or the whole unit. :blink:

Edited by CHEWY49
IPB Image

You have to change the sensor unit for a new one but they last a long time since the battery is only needed/used when the unit is in the water.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

These are a brilliant depth finder as long as its over 1 metre, below this they go mad.

For fish finding they are poor unless you have large fish. They will not show roach or skimmers but larger bream are fine.

What they are really good as is pike lures. I have lost count of the times the finder has been hit by a pike. Should really get round to fitting a treble hook to tail end.

The ability to cast it out and draw it back watching the contours of lake or river bed is what it is great at. In this mode it saves you so much time with plummet. I have cast it too middle of lakes around me to see how deep it was only to find its shalower than the edge.

john