What is the nicest sea food to eat?

YoungRod

The best seafood to eat is the seafood you catch yourself!

Absolutely right, there's nothing like catching, cooking and eating your own fish, but to my mind, the nicest thing I ever tasted from the sea was live scallops straight after an early morning dive. Open the shell, loosen them with a knife and scoff them still twitching. Don't just swallow them like oysters, give them a good chewing, they are tender and sweet. They have got to be ultra-fresh to eat them like this, but once you do you'll never want to kill the flavour by cooking them or wrapping them in bacon again.

Edited by Puffin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mussels, cooked as soon as you've gathered them with laver mixed with oats & fried in thin pattys sprinkled with sea salt , samphire, boiled for 10 mins & dipped in butter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samphire

Samphire, haven't heard that word for yonks, mate. Many years ago, I was part of a group of blokes that put in a new road along the edge of the Great Sandy Desert, from Port Hedland to Broome, Western Australia. There was (is?) a salt pan called Samphire Marsh that we had to traverse (2 miles wide) and 120deg F in the shade. Today there is a roadhouse called Sandfire Roadhouse, which is a corruption of the samphire plant growing all around the salt pan.

Sorry for digressing, but it brought back good memories.......

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samphire

Samphire, haven't heard that word for yonks, mate. Many years ago, I was part of a group of blokes that put in a new road along the edge of the Great Sandy Desert, from Port Hedland to Broome, Western Australia. There was (is?) a salt pan called Samphire Marsh that we had to traverse (2 miles wide) and 120deg F in the shade. Today there is a roadhouse called Sandfire Roadhouse, which is a corruption of the samphire plant growing all around the salt pan.

Sorry for digressing, but it brought back good memories.......

dont be sorry for digressing Bobj, thats a great tale, i bet the samphire grows bigger than ours, we're lucky to get plants bigger than 7 inches.

did you eat any? is it still growing there ? it's the best wild plant ever.

have a good new year Bobj.

First choice is prawns. Second choice is mussels. Tried bass a couple of times and without spices its very "bland". Hence my only New Years resolution. Catch and release on as many bass as possible in Luce Bay 2007.

Bearing in mind my sister-in-law loves eating bass :schmoll: I promise anything over 3lb in 2007(breeding stock) will be photographed,kissed and returned.

You heard it here first :clap2:

2nd resolution - promise to never keep an inshore pollack again :clap2:

I am sure this will gain brownie points with Ian Burrett :clap2: See you in March mate :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

dont be sorry for digressing Bobj, thats a great tale, i bet the samphire grows bigger than ours, we're lucky to get plants bigger than 7 inches.

did you eat any? is it still growing there ? it's the best wild plant ever.

have a good new year Bobj.

Mate, we never ever thought about eating it and, from memory, it grew to about knee height, or for the seven dwarfs, waist height......... :lol: :lol:

We did, on a couple of sundays, drive to Eighty Mile Beach, just north of Wallall Downs sheep station and fished for Cooktown salmon (eleutheronema tetradactylum) 26 lbs and yummmmmmmmmmmmy.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Another old memory.....After that last post, I remembered that we (5 of us in the survey crew) got back to Broome on 24th december and the foreman told those that had nowhere to go for Chrissie, were to get on the back of the ute....8 of us. The foreman took us to his mate's home, where we were really welcomed by Hassan, the owner, who was a pearl diver. We were given dugong meat as an appetizer. Very nice eating, similar to beef in looks, but more tender and tastier, then we had turtle steaks, and oysters served on goldlip pearl shells. Yams followed and very spicy fish of some sort, with chook and mangoes.....Bloody marvellous day. :thumbs: :thumbs:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

The Halibut I caught in Norway in September - fresh from the sea, and on the plate that night was the best thing fish Ive ever had. When out in a restaurant etc, if Swordfish is on the menu, its a must have for me.

For fish I can regularly catch in my local waters - it has to be either Turbot, Megrim or Herring.

In its shell --- Mussels then Prawns ... mmmmmmmmmm :)

Gillies

Edited by Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Rock oysters chipped from the rocks and eaten at the ambient temperature. Blue mannas, squid and cuttlefish but you need a cook who understands sea food for those last two - unless you want to feel as though you are chewing a bit of rubber! Of course there are so many other culinary delights in the tropics they are impossible to list. However, in the nortern hemisphere a Maine lobster ain't bad either - an some of the clam chowder!!!!! The Western Australian crayfish is also delicious and can be superb if killed properly which is an art that is rarely practiced here because the processors don't want to spend the time doing that. One thing that often puzzles me is that what is said to be the best table fish in various localities is far from being so. Where I live it is supposed to be the Jew fish and so it sells at horendous prices which the yuppies are happy to pay. There are much better eating fish that can be caught within a few hundred metres of the shore that are much better, as I am sure that anyone who has eaten King George whiting will agree!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.