What is the nicest sea food to eat?

YoungRod

WOW! :thumbs: Thanks all, i didn't know it would be such a popular thread! I will keep me eyes peeled for all your suggestions.

Keep 'em coming, :clap2:

YoungRod

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Australian prawns

King George Whiting

Blue swimmer crabs with a sprinkling of pepper

Crayfish

Gar fish

Cod

Haddock

leather jackets

flathead

Mate!!! The gars are great spanish mackerel and coral trout bait........

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

South Australian prawns

King George Whiting

Blue swimmer crabs with a sprinkling of pepper

Crayfish

Gar fish

Cod

Haddock

leather jackets

flathead

we've only got velvet swimming crabs over here & our leather jackets are grubs that live under the lawn.

had a nice lunch yesterday, of dressed edible crab, cockles & crayfish tails.

WOW! :thumbs: Thanks all, i didn't know it would be such a popular thread! I will keep me eyes peeled for all your suggestions.

Keep 'em coming, :clap2:

YoungRod

you've certainly started a good one YoungRod, well done sargent. Don't peel your eyeballs though, no one is suggesting that as part of a seafood recipe.

have a look at rick steins seafood progs on UKTV Food, you'll love those

I'd forgotten all about samphire! We used to get that off the mudflats North of Southport when I was a kid. Lovely stuff. This is the stuff I think you are talking about. What makes it even better as a kid is that you have to eat it with your fingers, so you can pull the central stalk out when it's in your mouth, nice and messy.

509472_L1.jpg

(Picture "borrowed" off uktvfood.co.uk)

As far as fish goes, you can't beat fresh barbied macks.

raw mackeral straight from the sea is good, prefer it cooked but an excellent choice if no cooking facilities at the beach, a piece from the tail end does for me.

i love sea trout, cooked on the day of capture brand spanking new and still covered in lice.

mahi Mahi (dolphin etc) absolutely fantastic, had a couple of steaks last month on hols, it's my favourite and is always a reason to look forward to the next break.

yellow fin tuna cooked within 24 hours of capture. If you can't get it that fresh (and in the UK that's hard) buy frozen steaks from cost co, the wife and I had them a couple of days ago and they were excellent.

gotta agree, turbot is good if well cooked.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Sea Trout done on an open fire, covered in bacon and a dram.

Got a Rock Cod off the cliffs north of Aciltibuie, it was bright red and weighed about 4lbs.

Two fillets off and cooked on an open fire made out of old fish boxes.

Went back the following year and the grill wire (from an old cooker) that I had found to cook on was still in place on the stones where I had built the fire.

we've only got velvet swimming crabs over here & our leather jackets are grubs that live under the lawn.

had a nice lunch yesterday, of dressed edible crab, cockles & crayfish tails.

hiya ziggy, i saw some velvet swimmers in our mercadona supermarket at xmas, they were 19€/kilo (about 13 quid)ive not tried them, ive eaten ordanairy shore crabs though, the velvets must be top nosh or something???

cheers dave. :D