What is the nicest sea food to eat?

Fresh mackerel barbied within 1/2 hour catching, eaten on a beach, with fresh crusty bread and butter. Hmmmmmmmm failing that fresh prawns or lobster.

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Australia; Queensland Mud Crabs, Moreton Bay Bugs, Blue Manna Crabs, West Australian Crawfish, Stacks of different prawns, Tasmanian Scallops, Abalone.

Vagabond, mate......must pull you up here; West Australian CRAYFISH...not that ba*****ised American english term... :yucky:

However, I will agree with your taste in Australian fish foods. :thumbs: :thumbs: And coral trout, fingermark (golden snapper in the Northern Territory), red emperor, mackerel,snapper, leatherjacket, squid, king george whiting etc.

A local mud crab

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/087618.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi all,

I was wondering, what is the nicest sea creature that is available to eat (UK or abroard)? I like sea food,but am yet to find something that really gets the tastebuds tingling!

Anyways, going fishing hopefully wednesday, weather permitting, so i gonna test out some new gear...

Happy New Year

YoungRod

One thing; misleading consumer names.

FISH -- WHAT'S IN A NAME?

(Or, when is a Pacific Dory not a Pacific Dory?)

"QUESTION: When is a Pacific Dory not a Pacific Dory?

ANSWER: When it's not from the Pacific and it's not a Dory, that's when.

The fish sometimes sold as Pacific Dory does not come from the Pacific Ocean and it is not a member of the Dory fish family. The fish that has sometimes been sold as Pacific Dory is a member of the freshwater catfish family and is farmed in South East Asia.

In fact, there is no such fish as Pacific Dory. That is simply a marketing name and one that should no longer be used. Its correct marketing name is "Basa".

When is a "Snapper" a "Squire", when is a "Mahi Mahi" a "Dolphin Fish", when is a "Silver Warehou" a "Snotty-Nose Trevally" and when is a "Rabbit Fish" a "Happy Moments"? Well, usually when local fishers or seafood retailers use old local names that leave many seafood shoppers confused -- and maybe even a little anxious.

Surveys consistently show that confusion over fish names -- as well as the risk of occasional downright deliberate mis-labelling of cheaper fish as more expensive varieties -- is a source of real concern for consumers.

So, why isn't anybody doing anything about it?

Well, someone is. A nationwide Fish Names Committee, established by the industry-government organisation Seafood Services Australia, has been "standardising" marketing names for seafood for five years. And it's close to a conclusion.

The story of fish names -- and developing standard marketing names for fish and other seafood -- can be interesting and amusing, informative and entertaining.

If you would like to organise an interview with someone involved in the process, please call:

Alan Snow (in Brisbane) on 0418 199 516 or

Roy Palmer (in Melbourne) on 0419 528 733

Roy Palmer, a former seafood retailer, is Chair of the Fish Names Committee and Alan Snow, a senior staff member of Seafood Services Australia, is Secretary.

More information is available from www.fishnames.com.au "

There you go, pacific dory, or basa is mekong river catfish, and you can guess what they feed on.......

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi all,

I was wondering, what is the nicest sea creature that is available to eat (UK or abroard)? I like sea food,but am yet to find something that really gets the tastebuds tingling!

Anyways, going fishing hopefully wednesday, weather permitting, so i gonna test out some new gear...

Happy New Year

YoungRod

:clap2: Scallops, no doubt about it. Cooked in their shells with butter and a squirt of lemon. Yum, Yum. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Dec 30 2006, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: Scallops, no doubt about it. Cooked in their shells with butter and a squirt of lemon. Yum, Yum. :clap2:

Scallops definately...but, to my mind, boiled in their shells till they open, in sea water, ( Just like Mussels ) and eaten straight away....sooooperb.... :thumbs::clap2:

then, Fife Lobster, BBQ'd !!!!! :D :D :D

Then !!!! , Black Bream..filleted, covered in breadcrumbs, and pan fried.......absolutely gorgeous..... :D

I could go on for ages....I love every type of seafish......'cept for wormy Cod, and Thornback.....

:D :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Vagabond, mate......must pull you up here; West Australian CRAYFISH...not that ba*****ised American english term........

Yep, absolutely right Bobj - been in Texas too long I guess :rolleyes:

Fingermark - we caught and ate some up at Cape York - agree with your view on that too.

I didn't mention fish (my list was long enough already) but one that does stand out is Kingklip - anyone who gets to South Africa is recommended to try it.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...