Fishing dictionaries

Supernatural

Greetings, fellow fishermen, I'm new here so sorry, if someone has posted this before, but I wanted to ask, if you know any good fishing dictionaries, something you could call the father of all fishing term glossaries; officialy released, not just lists of terms on random websites? Billingual (e.g. English-Russian ) will do too, thanks in advance.

Come on, guys, I really need your help. Perhaps I should have indicated the purpose of this thread in my first post. I'm from Lithuania, a country near the Baltic sea and I've just got a BA in English Philology, now I'm studying Translation (MA) and my MA thesis is a compilation of terms, a small dictionary if you like. Being a die-hard angler myself, I decided to compile a bilingual (English-Lithuanian) dictionary of fishing terms and I need a starting point, a base what concerns fishing terms, i.e. I need an authoritative publication (e.g. dictionary, encyclopaedia) of fishing terms in English (British English would be even better).

Hi SN, that sounds very interesting. I'd love to help, but I don't know of anything like that. There are a few 'glossary' type fishing books, but not really dictionaries. My job is basically reference dictionaries, and I'm afraid if there are any it's news to me! Good luck though.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Supernatural

To be honest I've not seen a publication of the sort you are looking for - the nearest is the glossary you get at the back of some angling books. However, we do have 'The Great Glossary' forum on this site; some of the entries are tongue-in-cheek but I think you will find enough in there to make a good basis for your own dictionary. Don't forget the rules regarding copyright though ;)

Good luck with your endeavour :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Thanks a million, another thing I wanted to know: maybe there are smaller dictionaries for a particular type of fishing e.g. fly fishing, pole fishing, carp fishing etc., and what about encyclopaedias? I just can't believe there isn't a general English dictionary of fishing terms :rolleyes: . And what concerns 'The Great Glossary' thread here, would it be ok, if I used the info there? I promise to give full reference, I'm not goint to plagiarize. Oh and I guess I'll be needing a lot of help from people on this forum, so expect topics like "could you explain this term". :)

Thanks a million, another thing I wanted to know: maybe there are smaller dictionaries for a particular type of fishing e.g. fly fishing, pole fishing, carp fishing etc., and what about encyclopaedias? I just can't believe there isn't a general English dictionary of fishing terms :rolleyes: . And what concerns 'The Great Glossary' thread here, would it be ok, if I used the info there? I promise to give full reference, I'm not goint to plagiarize. Oh and I guess I'll be needing a lot of help from people on this forum, so expect topics like "could you explain this term". :)

There are 'basic' fishing books (or, at least, there used to be) organized in an A-Z format, but each entry would be a relatively detailed one covering a couple of pages rather than a definition. I think that's about as close as you're going to get. There just wouldn't be a market for a fishing dictionary, particularly a print one.

Feel free to ask questions!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I see. I'll have to talk to my supervisor about this. Now, in order not to create another thread, I'll be asking all fishing term related things here, ok? So here's one: could you explain the difference between a "whip" and a "pole"? Here's how I see it: "whip" fishing is using a rod without rings, no reel, up to 23? ft. long, with one ring or a connector (not sure how this is called in English) at the tip and a "whip" is usually telescopic, whereas a "pole" is much much longer ( up to 60 ft.?) and it's not telescopic, but, how shall I put this, consists of "put over, put in"? sections and has an elastic attached to the topkit, no rings, no reel.

This site (Anglersnet) links to: http://www.askanglers.co.uk as well for a glossary

I have just the book you need

Encyclopeedia of Angling

by Norman Marston Published 1966

Published By Paul Hamlyn

It is not up to date but is very comprehensive.

You could Google it and see if you can get it on the net if not I could lend it to you.

Why Russian if you are from Lithuania? Are you a Russian or a Lithuanian? are you looking to target a larger market with your book?

I lived in Latvia for 7 years and had a hard time learning Latvian and Russian names for fish and Tackle; I can see the advantages of such a book.

There are now a lot of Latvians and Lithuanians in the UK who would benefit from such a book, British fishing could also benefit if you prelude it with a statement on the culture of British fishing.

Anyway drop me a line if you can’t find the book on the net.

Cheers Richard

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"