Carp Lakes in Norfolk

BoozleBear

I am off with the family and a friend to Norfolk Broads in April.

Knowing that it's closed season there, rather than hit the broads we plan to go carping instead.

We will be staying in Dilham, near Wroxham.

Can anybody advise me on day ticket waters please?

1. A water where we can target lovely big carp!

2. One where we can also take my ten yr old son so he can hpefully bag up - ie an easier water.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Knowing that it's closed season there, rather than hit the broads we plan to go carping instead.

2. One where we can also take my ten yr old son so he can hpefully bag up - ie an easier water.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon, Norfolk is full of lakes that are open in the close season. It really depends on how far you would like to travel on any given day.

I'll give you a few day ticket options close'ish to where you're staying.

you could try:

1. Gunton Estate Lake about 8 miles towards Cromer holds a fair head of large carp, stacks of bream and roach.

2. Gimingham Lakes about 6/7 miles, through North Walsham, towards the coast. 2 lakes both with some good carp and tench

3. Hevingham Pits about 10 miles, over the Norwich-Cromer Road. A great little mixed fishery

4. Holly Farm Lakes about 8 milesjust before you get to South Walsham on the B1140, a small fishery that would suit the youngster.

5. Bure Valley Lakes about 8/9 miles just before Aylsham, has some large carp plus other great mixed lakes.

or find the details for Blickling Estate Lake which I think opens on April 1st (or at least it used to) which has a few tricky largeish carp, lots of bream and a few large tench. Theres a fishery at Cawston that might be worth a look, a good mixed fishery at Reepham.

The slight problem you have is that being in Dilham you really are in the heart of Broadland, so any inviting looking bits of water you clap your eyes on are likely to be out of bounds until the new season is upon us.

Slightly further afield of course, you've got places like Catch 22 at Lyng, Lenwade Bridge Lake, Taverham Lakes plus some good waters near Gt Yarmouth such as Hall Farm Lakes at Burgh Castle....

Have a look at the map and give Google a go.

Hope I've been of some help.

Dan T

Simon, Norfolk is full of lakes that are open in the close season. It really depends on how far you would like to travel on any given day.

you could try:

1. Gunton Estate Lake about 8 miles towards Cromer holds a fair head of large carp, stacks of bream and roach.

2. Gimingham Lakes about 6/7 miles, through North Walsham, towards the coast. 2 lakes both with some good carp and tench

3. Hevingham Pits about 10 miles, over the Norwich-Cromer Road. A great little mixed fishery

4. Holly Farm Lakes about 8 milesjust before you get to South Walsham on the B1140, a small fishery that would suit the youngster.

5. Bure Valley Lakes about 8/9 miles just before Aylsham, has some large carp plus other great mixed lakes.

or find the details for Blickling Estate Lake which I think opens on April 1st (or at least it used to) which has a few tricky largeish carp, lots of bream and a few large tench. Theres a fishery at Cawston that might be worth a look, a good mixed fishery at Reepham.

The slight problem you have is that being in Dilham you really are in the heart of Broadland, so any inviting looking bits of water you clap your eyes on are likely to be out of bounds until the new season is upon us.

Slightly further afield of course, you've got places like Catch 22 at Lyng, Lenwade Bridge Lake, Taverham Lakes plus some good waters near Gt Yarmouth such as Hall Farm Lakes at Burgh Castle....

Dan T

Great stuff Dan I'll look into those. Thanks very much for your time and detail. :thumbs:

Simon

Nice one Walcott. Have you fished any of them and which would you recommend for a) nice big fish (preferably commons but doesn't really matter and b ) my lad to bag up.

It would be best to be within 30-45mins drive from Dilham.

Also, if you want to meet up for a bit when we fish you are welcome to. Just pm me and we can sort out nearer the time.

Cheers,

Simon

Nice one Walcott. Have you fished any of them and which would you recommend for a) nice big fish (preferably commons but doesn't really matter and b ) my lad to bag up.

It would be best to be within 30-45mins drive from Dilham.

Also, if you want to meet up for a bit when we fish you are welcome to. Just pm me and we can sort out nearer the time.

Cheers,

Simon

If it's commons you're after inpaticular I would head to Bure Valley as two of the biggest inhabitants 30lb + are commons. Or try the Catch 22 fishery for a day or so as they have a high ratio.

One place I forgot to mention is Cobbleacre Lakes which is in Hevingham near Aylsham they've got 3 lakes which should cover all the options, plus they've got a website:

http://www.cobbleacrelakes.co.uk/index.html

Cheers,

Simon

quote]

The only one I have fished there is Aldeby, a little way from Dilham. It takes a little finding, being in an apple orchard, in the middle of nowhere! A choice of waters, and fish. Basically something for everyone.[/

Edited by Excalibur

you could try:

Dan T

Has Bure Valley opened again then? Been closed for the past few years..

Dan

Has Bure Valley opened again then? Been closed for the past few years..

Interesting. I must admit, I hav'nt fished it for about three years. I used to fish it in late September and October for the Roach, they've got fish in there approaching the 3lb mark.

Dan, any idea on why it has closed? Ownership problems, disease???

I hope they're not going to turn it back into a trout fishery.....