Seafood best avoided

Ken L

We have a thread running on the stuff that's good to eat so here's a couple to avoid:

Toadfish/Cowfish/Pufferfish. These things do turn up arrounf the UK coast and can get quite large (there was an 8lber caught on the south coast last summer) so there might be some hopeful soul that's tempted to try one in the pan. DON'T ! They're loaded with toxins and even a small piece can kill. These things are the basis of the poison used to turn people into zombies in the caribean and one species is turned into fugu by experts in Japan - where dozens of people a year still die from eating it despite the skill of the chefs.

Limpits. Not dangerous, just nasty.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as far as i know dead mans fingers are not poisonous- just nasty and fibrous

I guess that potentially all sea food could become poisonous- if i remember rightly it has to do with non degradable so-called 'heavy metal' toxins passing through the food chain with continual concentration. shellfish and larger species at the top of the food chain are most susceptible.

was that an environmental rant? just dont start me on eutrophication

Woldn't recommend mullet caught at sewage outlets... Best to return all Mullet.

Pollack are a bit boring to eat, better returned. Can't say I like the look of rockling either, not that I'm sure how you could eat them, just like a bag of jelly.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Pollack are a bit boring to eat, better returned.

Pollack are most certainly not boring to eat! They are a delicately flavoured creamy/flakey fish.

Chances are you've eaten more pollack than you realise as they are very often served as 'cod' at fish & chip shops.

Just to confirm - 'Dead Man's Fingers' aren't poisonous, just inedible.

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

Woldn't recommend mullet caught at sewage outlets... Best to return all Mullet.

Pollack are a bit boring to eat, better returned. Can't say I like the look of rockling either, not that I'm sure how you could eat them, just like a bag of jelly.

i've got a girt smoked rockling in the freezer, does this mean i can't eat it ?

Crab meat that has just been cooked, and not allowed to cool down, will give you guts-ache, so I'm told.

Nothing wrong with conger steaks and fishcakes(big ones the size of doughnuts)!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I am sure I was given deep fried Sea Anemones once, in a Restaurant in the Ebro Delta. Not that they were inedible just did not taste of owt.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.