Fly fishing for pike.

Guest Ferret1959

Yes you do but if you use a short (sub9ft) leader you should not have any problems casting. I use a ready made Mastery Barracuda leader whch has the trace built in they are only a fiver from Sportfish.

Look at: http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/34184/M...ark_Leader.html

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I am off Pike fishing from my new float tube tomorrow (weather permitting)

I use 12" of 20Lb 7 strand, swivel on one end and snap link on the other attached to about 9' of 15Lb leader

No problems with catching or casting using a 9wt WF intermediate

I have landed pike up to 18Lb on the fly with this setup and not had a problem.

Spent the morning fitting a fishfinder to the tube so can't wait to give it a go tomorrow :P

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• 4 weeks later...
I know that some of the guys who fly-fish for Pike in the Baltic use heavy mono in place of wire. Another alternative is Titanium tipped furled leaders..

I got hold of some single strand titianium wire from poland years ago and used it for tope fishing as the strenth to width ratio is fantastic. I returned to 150lb mono as soon as I saw what the thin gauge titianium had done to the Topes Jaw :unsure: Toothy critter do a fine Limp multi strand wire braid with mini crimps.

I crimp a tiny link swivel to the leader and attach the fly to that, and form a Crimped loop the other end and then make a loop to loop connection to my mono.

Is that any help?

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

• 3 weeks later...

I always use 30 lbs mason hard nylon for all my pike fly traces. Never been biten off and it does not tangle up or kink like wire. Rio also make a hard nylon which is as good

Hope this helps Richard