Help me locate specific trousers?

philocalist

Hi guys - hoping someone might be able to make me a recommendation here, based upon ownership and experience, rather than brochures and online reviews :)

I routinely wear shorts year-round(!) - literally, and almost exclusively, the exceptions being weddings, funerals etc, or if I'm intentionally putting myself into a prolonged outdoor exposure in bad weather, i.e. bankside and fishing. Never had problems with being cold etc, and no dress codes to worry about, so comfort was always the foremost concern :)

Unfortunately with the arrival of advancing years, I've developed a problem with the skin on my legs below my knees, which will now suffer cuts / tears after minimal contact with the lightest of undergrowth - not painful, in the sense that I often first notice its happened when I see the red stuff trickling down my leg. I'm not talking about ploughing through brambles here - coarse, dry grass stalks can be enough to do the damage, and while the cuts / abrasions tend to be very minor and always heal easily enough, it's the 'nuisance factor' as much as anything else that is a problem - slight abrasions that go un-noticed result in bleeding wounds that never seem to be in a hurry to clot / stop - and the doc reckons there is little to be done about the situation medically, other than to take care - and wear long trousers more! :o

SO: I'm looking for something that is as protective as possible, i.e. they will protect my legs 100% from such minor injuries, typically caused by nothing more than pushing through long undergrowth / bracken etc, rather than climbing barbed wire / stamping down thorny briars etc.

BUT: I need them to be VERY breathable, and as lightweight as possible, i.e. something that is NOT designed to keep me warm in any way, as they WILL make me too hot to wear them ... after a lifetime of shorts. :D Waterproof / showerproof / windproof would be welcome assets but not a necessary prerequisite to buying, and cost-wise, I'd rather not break the bank if possible, though will spend whatever is needed for the right garment.

Oh aye - they need to be available in big sizes too - I'm more of a cart horse than a race horse :D

Any thoughts or recommendations please?

Edited by philocalist

At age 74 I wear shorts year round, fall, R sover on the rocks, get spiked by low branches while traversing narrow pathways in the bush...

But wouldn't give it up at all...Well, maybe when I'm in a coffin...

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Any thoughts or recommendations please?

Have you investigated "Chain saw trousers"?

They may (or may not) have the properties you want.

I have found that CragHoppers solve the issues that you are experiencing.

The light weight "Solardry" are less expensive than the fancy ones that pull apart to make shorts.

I use Craghoppers as well, the ones that don't unzip. There are many makes of thornproof, wicking, quick drying long trousers on the market. Check out an outdoor clothing shop, such as Cotswold, Blacks, Go Outdoors. Mountain Warehouse. (other shops are available)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Not these;

220px-WallaceandGromitinTheWrongTrousers

:)

I find that the lightweight trousers aren't even nettle proof, and the heavyweight ones are very warm, so it will be interesting to see what you end up with.

I am the opposite the last time i wore shorts was at school and only in the last year or so have EVER gone out (out as in shopping etc) without a coat ,not that i,m cold rather the opposite but it just feels strange ,never worn sandels either

Only in the last two years have i worn boots ,my tendon dubries were ruined running at school so boots made mh feet acbe but these modern lightweight ones are ok but their worn out in two months

As for trousers and the wild i just wear those poor peoples black elasticated waist things from primark for a fiver ,light flexible and cheap and not warm at all ,jogging bottoms for the fat and lazy i think their called? When your almost as big waisted as your tall the choice is restricted LOL

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson