Coarse fish in a tank

Anthony78

System type Coldwater aquarium

Dimensions 122 x 38 x 38cm/48" x 15" x 15

Surface area 0.46 sqm/4.95 sq ft/ inches sq in

Volume 177 l./39 gal. (46.76 US gal.)

Probable volume 159 l./35 gal. (42 US gal.)

Stocking density 18"/44cm (built up gradually)

Maximum density 35"/89cm (theoretical maximum)

Ok these are the results for my tank. How on earth do you work out what 18" of fish is? :blink:

It would be so much easier if they gave the results in weight. I could work that one out :rolleyes:

Effort equals reward!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish are measured from the tip of the mouth to the base of the tail excluding the tail fin itself. It is the accepted standard gauge for fish size within the aquarium hobby/business. Probably not entirely accurate but as good a datum line as anything else. Don`t forget a fishes weight can vary for any number of reasons but its length stays pretty much constant once it stops growing. Also looking at fish in a tank it is a lot easier to judge their length than their weight.

native coarse fish appear to be a common sight at the bigger watergarden centres i have seen chub/barbel for sale at some places but mostly in the summer months may i suggest you visit your maidenhead aquatics http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/

Edited by butiaboy

my favourite fishing spot

2008_0801craig0051.jpg

chesterfield canal chesterfield

have seen chub/barbel for sale at some places

So have I. Chub will be fine, apart from eating all the goldfish once they get big enough, but selling barbel to snuff it in garden ponds is wrong. :angry:

Guest Ferret1959
So have I. Chub will be fine, apart from eating all the goldfish once they get big enough, but selling barbel to snuff it in garden ponds is wrong. :angry:

Do they snuff it?

Mate of mine had some in a tank for ages with no probs.

Do they snuff it?

Mate of mine had some in a tank for ages with no probs.

You could keep tiny ones in a tank, if you knew what you were doing. You could keep big ones in a (koi-standard) pond, though personally I think barbel belong in rivers and shouldn't even be stocked into large stillwaters. What you can't do is stick them in the average shallow, stagnant, under-filtered garden pond with the goldfish and expect them to thrive. Oxygen levels will get too low, temperatures will get too high, it's just wrong.

Guest Ferret1959
You could keep tiny ones in a tank, if you knew what you were doing. You could keep big ones in a (koi-standard) pond, though personally I think barbel belong in rivers and shouldn't even be stocked into large stillwaters. What you can't do is stick them in the average shallow, stagnant, under-filtered garden pond with the goldfish and expect them to thrive. Oxygen levels will get too low, temperatures will get too high, it's just wrong.

Same as any dwellers of flowing water then I spose.

Getting back to the question about keeping course fish in a tank.

Not the best place for them at all.

If it was me I'd stick to tank bred fish that look like course fish.

There's plenty tropical and cold freshwater fish that would fit the bill.

I have kept fish from rivers and ponds but wouldn't bother anymore due to the death rate and difficulties keeping the tank in the right conditions.

I have two tanks set up at the mo, one tropical community and one Malawi set up.

Both are doing very well with harldy any maintenance. :D

Edited by Ferret1959

Hi chaps,

I went to my local aquarium yesterday and saw some baby albino sturgeon and fell in love with them straight away :wub: . Please tell me these can be kept in a tank of my size as I would love to have one of these. They live in very warm and cold temps so, in theory, should be ok throughout the year. Any Ideas??

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

I WILL die.

I know through experiance. :(

Oh Crap!!!

There goes that idea then. Looks like I'm stuck with boring old tropicals or cold water fish that I probably wont be able to get hold of any way. This was supposed to be fun :(

Anybody want to buy a fish tank :rolleyes:

Effort equals reward!!