Coarse fish in a tank

Anthony78

Guest Ferret1959

Why are trops boring?

They are much more interesting and more active than any of our river fish.

I would have bought your tank but just set a new Malawi tank up with one I had off Ebay. ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could keep Tanichthys albonubes, the White Cloud Mountain Fish ( some times referred to as minnow), they come from China and can be easily kept without heat as they can survive temperatures from 35f to 85f.

To make it exciting to watch cover the bottom of aquarium with small Dorset gravel and top out with 6mm gravel, place your filter extractor at one end of aquarium and the return at the opposite end to form a stream effect. Plant with some willow moss at the return end and middle with a couple of large pieces of well washed coal for rocks which create a good colour contrast and help with water quality.

You now need twenty to thirty White Cloud Mountain minnows to give you a lively shoal of active fish which will breed quite freely. Feed with daphnia, tubifex worm, dry food and brine shrimp.

Good luck with your Aquarium

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

You could keep Tanichthys albonubes, the White Cloud Mountain Fish ( some times referred to as minnow), they come from China and can be easily kept without heat as they can survive temperatures from 35f to 85f.

To make it exciting to watch cover the bottom of aquarium with small Dorset gravel and top out with 6mm gravel, place your filter extractor at one end of aquarium and the return at the opposite end to form a stream effect. Plant with some willow moss at the return end and middle with a couple of large pieces of well washed coal for rocks which create a good colour contrast and help with water quality.

You now need twenty to thirty White Cloud Mountain minnows to give you a lively shoal of active fish which will breed quite freely. Feed with daphnia, tubifex worm, dry food and brine shrimp.

Good luck with your Aquarium

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look in to the species you suggest. Unfortunately I have been working for the last 9 days straight and will be working the weekend also, so havn't had time to go to the library or go to any more aquariums.

Are the White cloud mountain fish easily available?

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Zebra danios are also very good in a fast stream situation.

Hi, This is Kim,ants other half. Not that I haven't been googling for hours but I am stuck to find out what water "Tropical water" is, Yeah I know its wet water (ha, ha) and that it is warm, but is it salt water, and if so how much different is it from Marine water.

Im trying to figure out that if we were to have warm, not salted water if I could still keep aulonocara, corydora, plecos, squirrelfish, discus, siamese fighting fish (one male, as Im aware they'll fight to the death), tetras, bettas, lionfish, angelfish, damselfish, gourami etc etc...obviously not all of them but that is the selection of fish Id like....I kinda feel like this after a whole saturday trying to figure out the difference in water types and trying to find what goes with what... :wallbash:

Helpmuch appreciated

Kim

x

Effort equals reward!!

Kim, don't get a siamese fighting fish. They are horribly aggressive, not just to other males but to anything they can get hold of. If any other fish breed they will gobble up fry quicker than they can hatch. I've never had any, but discus are supposed to be VERY intolerant of poor water quality. Lionfish are marine (saltwater) fish! Plecs can grow huge but are OK for a short time, then you either get rid or set up a big unplanted tank with the plec and a couple of oscars. Stick to what they call "community tank" fish, like the corydoras etc. Whatever you do, don't buy any guppies, unless you're handy with a liquidizer!

Watch out for some barbs - I had some tigers which were very nippy with other fish - espeically the gouramis. An Angel fish is a useful addition if you are putting Platys or Guppies in, one angel will feed quite happily on the tiny newborn baby fish (if you start with 10 guppies you will have a very busy tankful in a years time!). Angels do get a bit territorial.

Sharks are a pain in the arse (the black ones with the red tail) - everyone buys them because they are called sharks - don't.

Algae eaters or plecos are handy to keep the green down. Plecos grow very quickly if fed ALGAE WAFERS or PLECO PELLETS but they'll live quite happily just mopping up the glass and picking up dregs off the bottom - they also grow far less rapidly!

Ian W

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say thanks to those who gave me advice on my new aquarium. As you know I initialy wanted to keep cold water coarse fish but sfter so many of you said this would not be possible I decided to set up a tropical tank. I have attached a few pics for those who are interested.

Although it still looks empty My stock so far is;

1 sailfin plec (my favourite)

6 zebra danios

4 leopard danios

2 guppies

3 clown loach

2 red dwarf gourami's

1 red tailed black shark

and lastly 1 dwarf frog which has miraculously dissappeared since his arrival.

DSCF1447.jpg

DSCF1448.jpg

DSCF1418.jpg

DSCF1453.jpg

Effort equals reward!!