Cheap braid question

Anderoo

I needed some new 20lb braid for my marker and spod reels, and risked buying some no-name cheap stuff off ebay (it was only about £7 inc. delivery for 300yds).

It has just arrived and looks and feels fine, except that it seems very thin for 20lb. In fact it looks exactly the same as the 10lb PP I use for light lure fishing.

IMG_2977_zpsnyakvhlq.jpg

IMG_2976_zpsv8qnkdx1.jpg

Question - has anyone here bought this stuff or something similar, and was it OK? Do you think this may have been mis-labelled, or could it be the correct BS, just very thin?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Maybe see what it breaks at? If you suspend an empty bucket with it and then see how much water you can add before it breaks, 20lb would be about 9 litres. Obviously knot strength will be less than that.

Cheers Steve, yes I will try that later.

If it is 10lb I've just got about a decade's worth of jigging/dropshotting line :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

JV44 had a bad experience with cheap unbranded braid once, luckily we discovered that it snapped like cotton at any knot before it was put to use. I'd be inclined to ignore the labelling and BS rating in favour of some field testing in the garden, if it breaks consistently anywhere near 20lb then I'd use it.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I have the cheapo stuff from china, using it in 100' of water, no complaints what so ever. Don't know, but I would imagine loads of the stuff is made in the far east and rebranded or branded with nicer names.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hmm, initial unscientific tests at work with books in a carrier bag are not encouraging...!

I have the cheapo stuff from china, using it in 100' of water, no complaints what so ever. Don't know, but I would imagine loads of the stuff is made in the far east and rebranded or branded with nicer names.

That's what I was hoping Barry, I wonder if this particular one has just been mis-labelled.

I have quite a few reels all loaded with braid, bought from all over. Never have I bought the dear, posh stuff. The one I got last came from china and it feels exactly like my very first braid purchased years ago, dynon dyneema. Yet it is twice as thin and a round profile. Absolutely no issues with the far east stuff what so ever.

only ever had one issue with one braid and that was the coated stuff, fireline? Within no time the coating came off and left patches of line, again, looking exactly like dyneema

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Yes, I don't like fireline for the same reason. When it's new and has the coating on it is very stiff and 'waxy', and when the coating wears away it goes kind of fluffy. It's also very thick compared to other braids of the same BS. Funnily enough it's 20lb fireline I have on my marker and spod reels that I want to replace!

If the BS of this stuff is reasonable, I might use it but add a shock leader of stronger stuff to take the impact of the cast.

• Like 1