Cheap braid question

Anderoo

Got some cheap ebay braid on my deadbait rods in 65lb cast well does what it says on the tin got a fair few barbell and carp rods spooled in it no issues but the yellow stuff Rusty mentioned was rubbish.....sounds like miss labled to me Anderoo

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I use the cheap braid as well apart from my LRF fishing, I have not had any problems with it. It also makes excellent fly line backing.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Why so light? A 150g spod on 10kg line is potentially very dangerous - and an 80g lead on a marker float is even more deadly.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The way you chuck a spod isn't really high velocity, like pendulum casting a 6oz lead, more of a lob, so I think the risks are fairly minimal. I still use a 50lb shock leader, though.

I tested it and it breaks at about 11lb. I think it's just mis-labelled. It'll be fine for light lure fishing, but that's not what I needed it for so it's pretty annoying. Lesson learned I guess.

Maybe 20lb is a bit light, it's what I've always used though and I've never snapped off. That's with the rather generously proportioned fire line though.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Fireline breaks at almost double the stated BS so if you used 20lb Fireline, you are going to need at least 50lb braid.

Going heavier (my 6000 size reels are loaded with 65lb braid) also tends to reduce the tendency of the live to dig into itself.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Blimey, you guys fish with some heavy line! I beachcast with 30lb PP (plus tapered Daiwa shockleader), I tope, wreck and most everything else with 30lb PP and I have one reel with 50lb PP for deep water bottom fishing. I have a big game reel with 130lb hollow core braid but I'd be lucky to hook anything in UK waters that would warrant it!

I use a f/s and one small multi in freshwater for lure fishing, both with 30lb PP

My PP is rated at the old US imperial diameters/BS, not the newer Metric equivalents.

5Ib is 0.10mm diameter

8Ib is 0.13mm diameter

10Ib is 0.15mm diameter

15Ib is 0.19mm diameter

20Ib is 0.23mm diameter

30Ib is 0.28mm diameter

40Ib is 0.32mm diameter

50Ib is 0.36mm diameter

65Ib is 0.41mm diameter

80Ib is 0.43mm diameter

100lb is 0.46mm diameter

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Low diameter is a big advantage when fishing at distance or in very deep water.

Being able to bend the hooks out of snags is an advantage when pike fishing at close range.

Low diameter is a big advantage when fishing at distance or in very deep water.

Being able to bend the hooks out of snags is an advantage when pike fishing at close range.

Very true, I hadn't looked at it that way! Do you use a mono/fluoro leader or is it one of those "some do, some don't" questions?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!