Fishing..A youngsters take on things.

Squiffy

I was just reminded of this incident which happened with my Young Nephew (well, he is kicking 30 now) but the story starts when he was a young 'trainee' angler of just 8-9 yrs old.

I had got him interested in angling when he was a mere spawner of 5 yrs of age.

We used to go to the local pond (called Slines Oak...nr Caterham Surrey) and spent many sun-filled afternoons catching small Crucians, Commons and the odd Perch, and wiling away the hours chatting about Fishing.

As with all youngsters, he was keen as mustard to learn 'How big the biggest Carp in the World is' and 'can a Pike eat a dog' (you know the kinda stuff)

Well, I soon moved away from Surrey, and my Nephew continued to fish (his long suffering Mum used to drive him to the pond, and have to sit for several hours whilst he got tangled up, snapped Rod-Tips etc.) but both showed great patience.

I looked forward to his excited phone calls as I sat in my Student pad at Northumbria University.

One particular occasion, he phoned and was VERY excited indeed (even more than normal!)

"I have caught a MASSIVE Carp....My mum was here too, and she saw it" he yelled down the phone..

"Fantastic" I replied

"Another fisherman came and weighed it for me" he quipped with continuing relish!

"Wow!....How Big?" I asked

" 6Lb 7oz" He whooped!! :clap2: (which for Slines Oak was a near Record!..lol)

" Thats absolutely great mate...I am so pleased for you!" I said

Once he had calmed down a little, we continued to chat, and he mentioned in passing, that he had caught a Perch too

"Nice one" says I

" I told the other Fisherman I had a Perch in my Keepnet, and he said should we weigh that too?... And I said yes ok.....But it was smaller than my Carp...It was only

3lb 14oz!!!!!!!!

I dont remember much after that!....But I believe I probably fainted!! :lol:

Great story!

Does your nephew now appreciate the significance of his monster perch?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

great story squify, i cant wait till my nephew gets fishing with me, ive tried a lot in the past but hes just a little to hyperactive to have any patience to sit and watch a float, in the end the rod gets used as a sniper rifle and away he goes playing modern warfare or somthin, hes only 7 yet so plenty of time

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Hi Andy,

Yes...there is something special about bringing a youngster into the wonderful world of Angling.

7yrs old is still a 'tiny' bit young for the patience levels to have evolved to the required levels methinks. (But hey....nowt wrong with a good Sniper Rifle!)

But the fact that you take him is great, and the bug may well have already bitten your young Nephew (as it did mine)

I did my first all-night session with my son last summer...he was 8 yrs old then, and loved it...So not long to wait!!!

Here's wishing you and him tight-lines, and many great stories to share in the pub with his/your mates! :P

Hi Andy,

Yes...there is something special about bringing a youngster into the wonderful world of Angling.

7yrs old is still a 'tiny' bit young for the patience levels to have evolved to the required levels methinks. (But hey....nowt wrong with a good Sniper Rifle!)

But the fact that you take him is great, and the bug may well have already bitten your young Nephew (as it did mine)

I did my first all-night session with my son last summer...he was 8 yrs old then, and loved it...So not long to wait!!!

Here's wishing you and him tight-lines, and many great stories to share in the pub with his/your mates! :P

he likes to hear me talk about all the diffrent kinds of fish there are perch are the stripey ones, pike are the ones with huge monsterous teeth and roach are the realy slimey smelly ones. atleast hes been introduced to it and took somewhat of an interest in it, this summer ill try and find a pond stocked full of roach and perch where hes always going to get a bite within a few minutes of his first cast. i think its the waiting for somthing to happen that gets them bored.

the first time he caught somthing he wasnt even aware of it, i took him up the canal and he was getting a bit of an itch to do somthing so he started dipping the maggot in at the very edge and much to his suprise he had a little roach on it he shouted "Andy ive got a slimy one"

on another note im disgusted at the childs starter kits, the rod is ok, you know those little shakespear ones, but the reel is of such a poor quality you get tangles all the time, thats enough to put any child off fishing so im going to go look for one better for him when he gets more patience. any suggestions ?

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

One of the US style spincast reels might be ideal. Easy to manage for small hands and impossible to tangle.

I have not ever located a good UK source for them but BassPro and Cabelas both stock a good selection for very low prices. They come pre-spooled with line but it is nasty and should be replaced before using the reel. Just go to the site and search for 'spincast'.

They mount muliplier fashion and the best sort of rod to use is one that is multiplier ringed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

he likes to hear me talk about all the diffrent kinds of fish there are perch are the stripey ones, pike are the ones with huge monsterous teeth and roach are the realy slimey smelly ones. atleast hes been introduced to it and took somewhat of an interest in it, this summer ill try and find a pond stocked full of roach and perch where hes always going to get a bite within a few minutes of his first cast. i think its the waiting for somthing to happen that gets them bored.

It does indeed!

I take my oldest (7 now, but started when he was 5) to a local pond that is stuffed full of small roach and perch, he manages to sit still and fish for a couple of hours now - as long as we are catching!

He also caught his first "proper" fish last summer - a tench of about 3lb, and that seems to have fired him up, he really wants to go and catch another one!

Another thing I've found helps, as soon as you see the early signs of concentration fading, the figeting etc - pack up then - leaving them wanting more is better than making them sit still till they are bored stiff!

Mat

Mat

the first time he caught somthing he wasnt even aware of it, i took him up the canal and he was getting a bit of an itch to do somthing so he started dipping the maggot in at the very edge and much to his suprise he had a little roach on it he shouted "Andy ive got a slimy one"

on another note im disgusted at the childs starter kits, the rod is ok, you know those little shakespear ones, but the reel is of such a poor quality you get tangles all the time, thats enough to put any child off fishing so im going to go look for one better for him when he gets more patience. any suggestions ?

n another note imn another note im disgusted at the childs starter kits disgusted at the childs starter kits

There may be some decent starter kits around but I havn't seen any I got my sons in to fishing by giving them a whip each!!! The fishing type I mean :rolleyes: 4 metres or so should be fine, its easy for them and you not having to untangle every 5 minutes, but gets them really hooked on catching fish. Make sure you teach them 'proper' fishing later though :fishing1:

Edited by Rabbit