Upgrading To An SLR

randal

I am going to upgrade to a digi slr and would like the opinions of the more advanced photographers on the forum on which of my two choices i should go for,the Canon D400 or the Nikon D80 http://www.ceciljacobs.com/index.php?targe...oduct_id=159555

Any help on helping me decide would be greatly appreciated before i go and blow my wad on more fishing tackle that i don't need :rolleyes:

I am going to upgrade to a digi slr and would like the opinions of the more advanced photographers on the forum on which of my two choices i should go for,the Canon D400 or the Nikon D80 http://www.ceciljacobs.com/index.php?targe...oduct_id=159555

Any help on helping me decide would be greatly appreciated before i go and blow my wad on more fishing tackle that i don't need :rolleyes:

One of the photo mags this month did a write-up on both these camera's you mentioned. I think it comes down to personal choice. I've a Canon 400D, I've always been a Canon guy and the reason I chose the Canon 400D is that some of my lens will fit. My partner is a Nikon girl. The D80 is a heavier camera in both weight and price, and the lens don't come cheap either - not that some Canon lens are cheap as I'm finding out. There are some good accessories with the Canon.

Read up on both those camera's before you decide. I think the Canon is more easy to use, however, I may be wrong.

Yogi. :thumbs:

P.S. - I got my Canon 400D brand new with lens for £474 on E-Bay. I've since bought another lens and batt pack for it tho.

Edited by Yogi

Take nothing but photo's.

Leave nothing but footprints.

Kill nothing but time.

These two models are so closely matched by specification it would be hard to decide between the two...here is a side by side comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_po...80&show=all

The canon has it on price (£100 cheaper, body only) and in some minor areas in the spec for me (be aware I'm a Canon owner so could be biased ;))

Both cameras will take excellent pictures and the final decision will be do you want to become a canon or Nikon man, because you will eventually want a different lens and then your buying into that manufacturer. Not because you buy a canon lens for a canon camera, you could buy a "Sigma" lens but they tend to be either "Nikon fit" or Canon fit" etc. I would suggest you look at lens prices to help you make your final decision also, try and think what you will need down the road, I appreciate its hard to do, but better to get it right now than regret 6-12 months down the line, also look at spare battery and media card prices. I'm focusing (no pun intended) on the money here as the spec is identical.

Take your time and if you can get into a camera shop and see if you can handle both of them on the same day.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I was in the same position and decided on the Olympus D500 I now have two of them I need this as I photograph weddings as well and I am very happy with them!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

An aspect that many do not consider when taking this decision is the view finder, is the information therein clear, is the image bright, do you wear specs? will you eventualy wear specs? I went the Nikon route many years ago on 'build quality' and the high view 'view finder' as a specs wearer. Build quality has always been an issue N v C? 'N' often winning on the reviewers perception of 'feel'? As a biased Nikon SLR/DSLR owner, and a Canon compact owner???? The Canon compact has been repaired twice in three years, both times major component failure! Never had need for a Nikon repair in 15 years?

As far as Lens price is concerned, both manufacturers produce expensive lenses!!!! Independent offerings, Sigma, Tamron etc are usually reasonably priced in comparison. There is an issue on the Canon kit lens, by all accounts its poor? speaking for Nikon, there kit lens is excellent, and reviews well too.

Specification as has already been mentioned, nothing to choose. Final image presentation, pre 'PS', can be an issue, Canon has a warmer colour presentation, Nikon is cool but true to colour, so the reviewer seem to say, all can be dealt with in the menus.

What comes to hand best?

CJS2

Edited by CJS2

Pretty good advice from everyone already.

I've just been through the same buying decision for my mum and ended up settling on the 400D with the kit lens. Mainly due to price, plus the anti-dust shake thingy will mean that I'm not spending time cleaning the sensor for her all the time. Might also be a handy back up for me for weddings :clap2:

Additional battery grips are available for both, so size isn't such an issue.

Having used both Nikon and Canon in the past 12 months, I do prefer the Canon software though (not really an issue if you dont shoot RAW and already have some incarnation of photoshop). The past few weeks I've started to get to grips with Capture One Pro which seems to give far superior results to Canon DPP. It also means I can use the same software to edit both my old Nikon and new Canon RAW Files without having to swap between different programs.

I'll stick my neck out though as say that my money would go on the 400D. I just find that canon lenses seem far superior and have less quality control issues. All of the canon lenses I've bought so far have been razor sharp, whereas a couple of the nikon's i owned we are bit dubious.

one thing i wasnt aware of is aftersales service

a guy i know who is semi pro and works for local rag indicates cannon do not have a uk based repair centre and they all go back to Japan whereas nikon have uk service centre, hence why most pros opt for nikon

ps im am canon thro and thro

any others heard this fact or care to comment. ie please prove me wrong for piece of mind

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

I just find that canon lenses seem far superior and have less quality control issues. All of the canon lenses I've bought so far have been razor sharp, whereas a couple of the nikon's i owned we are bit dubious.

Mmm, thats if you are buying Canon/Nikon lenses, (can be pricey??) buy an independent, Sigma, Tamron etc, they seem to be priced the same, its just the fitting that changes. And if the reviews are anything to go by, they are more than up for the job? My only concern is that because of my glasses, I do struggle with the view finder information. Wonder if its better recently?

:ph34r:

one thing i wasnt aware of is aftersales service

a guy i know who is semi pro and works for local rag indicates cannon do not have a uk based repair centre and they all go back to Japan whereas nikon have uk service centre, hence why most pros opt for nikon

ps im am canon thro and thro

any others heard this fact or care to comment. ie please prove me wrong for piece of mind

Canon after sales? 'Colchester Camera Repair Service' are official approved, Canon and Olympus repairers. The did my S50 Power Shot, first time 2 years ago was a G'tee replacement rear viewing screen, second time was the cameras main 'control chip' went down last year, cost £90 with a 6 months Warranty!

http://www.camera-repair.co.uk/

I would not go the Canon route, as I have a '????' over reliability, my experience only of course.

:ph34r: