drennan hook tyer

Noggin

drennan hook tyer...

I apologise for going over old ground but I am having trouble with this device I bought the other day.

I can use it to tye the hooks but not in the way the instructions explain. I find it impossible to jump the first turn so that the subsequent turns are going towards the hook point. I have to keep the turns going towards the shank end instead. This method still seems to give me a solid knot structure but I have not tried them at a fishery yet.

If anyone as any thoughts/advise please let me know.

Thanks,

Noggin.

Noggin

I bought a Drennan hook tyer and spent ages trying to master it. It's now been consigned to the bottom of my tackle box!! Then I spent half the time learning to tie a spade-end hook without any tyer (using the knot shown in the diagram posted above). It's worth persevering with if you can. It also give you the option of a decent home-tied hair rig using the leftover strand at the end of the spade knot. Best of luck!

I'm a user of the Matchman hook tyer. Almost bought the Drennan as well but the tackle shop owner recommended the Matchman - why have both???

I find the matchman perfectly adequate for my hook tying requirements, nice neat whippings, tight and secure.

I have tried tying by hand without any success (all fingers and thumbs) I keep the tyer in one of my drawers, whip on a new hook in seconds when required.

I've got the Matchman Hook tyer :) and it's the best tool I have for years. :):):):):) Will tied on spade and eye (for extra strenght)hooks from size 24 to size 12 or bigger.

I nearly brought the Drennan one but did not like the instructions with it. :D

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I also have the matchman - still got the one I bought around 20 years ago :P It must be the only bit of tackle I have never had to replace :D

This has to be about the best recommendation for a product, particularly when they're so cheap. I only tend to use it for smaller hooks, 12 and below, though as I prefer either the knotless knot or the grinner for big fish rigs.

Will