drennan hook tyer

Noggin

the matchman is black . . the drennan maroon.

I have used the drennan one for years now .. all my wippings go from the point upwards . . and sometimes if I am in a rush they overlay eachother in a crossed pattern . . it has never failed me yet . . used to use the matchman tyer but got into a bad habbit and then every knot started to pigtail . . . stick with it .. the maroon is the coolest tool . .

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

hmmmmm - fished a match today and lost either a big tench or carp . . the snap was right on the hook knot . . .

maybe I should try and read the instructions again . . does anyone have a copy of the drennan instructions again . .. .

managed to get 4th place but there was a only a couple of pounds in it. would have had the match and proably the spemcimen trophy too . . ah well guess that is fishing

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Bradford Angler:

hmmmmm - fished a match today and lost either a big tench or carp . . the snap was right on the hook knot . . .

maybe I should try and read the instructions again . . does anyone have a copy of the drennan instructions again  . .. .

managed to get 4th place but there was a only a couple of pounds in it. would have had the match and proably the spemcimen trophy too . . ah well guess that is fishing

:o:o:o

Bradford angler, I am going to give you one good advice Throw away the drennan hook tyer and get yourself a proper matchman hook tyer - simple instructions. :D:D

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Bradford Angler:

I used to use the Drennan and got quite nifty at tying a nice knot, in the right direction, and always had the problem you describe. And there was always something about the final tightening process that felt like it was straining the line.

Now I just use eyed hooks and tie a Palomar. Seems pretty simple really, and the knot is away from any imperfections in the base of the spade or eye that might cut into the line.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I can only use the drennan tier, tried the other one, did not like it.

see here

When you start the first turn you need to catch the line right next to the spade, I catch it with the line at an angle.

As I do the second turn I bring my right hand (holding line) towards my self and across my body from right to left so that the line is now whipping from the spade down the shank.

At the final stage when you are pulling the line against the brass know you can gently puch the whips tight against the spade as you tighten the knot.

Keep practising and using the tier will become 2nd nature.

I can tie size 24's to 1lb hooklengths with ease.

Another tip is to hold your spool of hooklength between your knees when tieing so that you can keep the line tight.

{2008 Editor's Note: hook tyers for sale, please click here}

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!