Rejoice!

Anderoo

Finally! The Thames is back to a normal level and has a lovely cold, green colour, and there's snow on the banks. I wish I was out there today. If it's still like it at the weekend I might FINALLY be able to have a crack at these huge chub... B)

That is all.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Spot on Anderoo, I am thinking of having a Pike session on the Kent/Sussex Rother this weekend; as long as we don't get a huge snowfall and the river fills up with snow meltwater.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Very cold at the mo, loving the snow in London though not looking forward to it turning to brown sludge!

My pike fishing experience has always been that its ok on a very cold day, but when it notches up a few degrees after a cold snap seems to be when the action gets great.

Would you lot agree?

By the way I mainly canal fish for pike so perhaps that may expalin a difference to the usual adage that frezzing cold weather is great for pike.

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by BoozleBear

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I haven't seriously pike fished any of my now local waters yet (only moved here last year) so I can't comment on those, but in general I find a warm spell after prolonged cold weather seems good for multiple catches of jacks and the steady cold clear weather is better for the bigger pike. This might simply be down to the fact the jacks are less active and it gives the bigguns a better chance to get to the bait! Either way it always feels 'better' to be out piking when it's freezing cold.

Incidentally (and this mainly relates to clear, shallower lakes) if it's a sunny day (even if it's clear and really cold) I've had multiple catches of smaller pike by fishing very close in, in very shallow water, near to snags. As long as it's out of any breeze the sun must warm up the shallow water and the pike come in really close (we're talking 2-3 feet out in a foot or so of water) to take advantage of the warmth. Explosive stuff!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Makes a change for the South of the UK to get more Snow than the North!

Our Geordie Pike dont know what to do at all!! ;)

Where are you Fishing Squiffy, Killie Lake, Big Waters, QEII Bolam?

I started off all of my fishing up there,but moved to Knt more years ago than I care to remember.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

This is becoming an interesting topic as there's lots of useful information being shared. This is one of the great attractions of a Forum.

The traditional advice has long been that cold weather is the best for piking. Partly I believe this was as much to do with other species, especially those good to eat, being more effected by the cold than pike. Perhaps the main exceptions are the almost inedible chub, and the highly-edible grayling. Also bear in mind that many of the old writers fished for trout and salmon whenever they could, turning to pike almost as a last resort for some sport.

Having said that, my own experience is that it varies hugely from water to water. However some generalisations can perhaps be made.

On many deep waters, such as my own gravel pits at Wingham, pike do feed well in cold weather, and often better than in milder winter conditions. However, it does depend on other factors as well, with wind and sun together almost always producing. On the other hand, during "anticyclonic gloom" when there's no sun and little wind I rarely catch anything, including pike.

On many shallow waters though I'd bet on mild weather, as long as it's not raining, being much better for pike than the current conditions.

Anderoo's comment about pike on the shallows I find interesting. I too have done well on the shallows on sunny afternoons later in the season when the pike are moving towards their spawning grounds. The best areas have almost always been in the sun but out of the wind. This has been almost regardless of the water temperature. Of course with the sun being in the south west or west during the afternoon at this time of year, areas out of a cold east or north easterly wind would be in the sun and out of the wind.

I also agree with Simon's observation about pike feeding well after it turns warmer following a cold snap. I'd add though that the change to colder weather can also be very productive - but only on deep waters! See for instance http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...mp;#entry328926

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve

Interesting response; Sue's biggest Pike, two or three years ago, came form the River Rother in early January when it was so cold the landing net was frozen solid to the ground and only became flexible when we put it in the water to land the fish. I have also had a couple of real bag up sessions on the water at the height of a freeze up. Mind you these sessions were in the middle of a cold snap when it had been cold for a number of days, I have never had much success when temperatures plummet overnight.

I have always found that Pike are one of the first fish to come back on the feed in really cold conditions.

Tony

Where are you Fishing Squiffy, Killie Lake, Big Waters, QEII Bolam?

I started off all of my fishing up there,but moved to Knt more years ago than I care to remember.

Tony

Hi Tony

Killie is a No-No now sadly (I think they had a big Pike wipeout there)

They did so @ QE2 as well...but I believe it has been re-stocked.

I actually do a fair bit of Piking @ Sweethope Loughs (been opened up to Piking during the winter) but nothing big reported (yet!)

And Bolam is good for a laugh!

Scotland is the mainstay though! (I am from down south, and moved up here!...So one leaves...another arrives!)

Tight lines m8! :thumbs:

Hi folks.

Are you all talking about deadbait fishing for pike, or lure fishing- in respect of these wintry conditions?

I'm now wondering if I should get myself up to the River Stour this weekend- since everyone seems to agree there may be a chance of catching something apart from pneumonia. Should I take the spinning rod and try for a pike, or just go for the chub?

Many thanks.

M.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.