The Branscombe Scavengers

Squiffy

http://eursoc.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/1...age_Rights.html

Personally I believe that it is our 17th Century stupid Maritime laws that need to be changed!

This is common or Garden Theft / Looting and Vandalism, and the purpetrators should be arrested and Charged!

If you did this at a Plane / Train / Car/ Lorry crash site.....it would be time for the book to be thrown!

whats the difference?

Those involved should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

They are leeches and enviromental vandals, and I hope they get what is coming to them!

Edited by Squiffy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite what they will "get coming to them" is a bit of a puzzle, they are breaking no laws, and provided they fill in the form declaring their finds, then it is very unlikely that the insurers will bother to chase up each individual.

I think I might have been more than tempted to at least go and have a poke around to see what has been washed up :)

No lives lost, just a few bits of cargo washed overboard...........

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

It is getting very tiresome seeing people ignorant of the law equating the people at Branscombe with looters / thieves / vandals etc.

It is not illegal to salvage flotsam and jetsam!

In fact if it were I hate to think of the increased loss of life that would have occurred over the years. Most rescues of ships at sea - even today - are carried out because the rescuer is then going to be able to claim salvage rights It is this that makes the whole operation worthwhile.

No-one is stealing per-se by collecting goods off the beach. If they choose to not report the salvage to the receiver of wreck then they become thieves. Those who choose to not report their salvage are fools and thieves and deserve what fate has in store. Many will get away with it, many others won't. Most goods after immerssion in the sea even for a brief period of time are commercially worthless. The biggest problem is that salt corrodes things very badly very quickly, and the cost of effectively cleaning the salt off / out of items soaked in the sea are un-economic. If the owners of the goods wish to reclaim the property then that is their right. If they prefer to leave it in the hands of the salvor then equally that is their right too.

A few years ago a ship sank off the Scilly Isles, and several containers were washed ashore. being so far from the rest of britain there were no cameras to record what happened, and no outcry over the good work the islanders did in cleaning there own beaches of all the flotsam. Even less reported is the fact that the owners of the things salvaged not only dodn't ask for the stuff back, they made a sizeable payment to the council for the cleanup operation.

Please get informed before you castigate people for doing what is perfectly legal and in these days of increasing environmental concern a good thing.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

It is getting very tiresome seeing people ignorant of the law equating the people at Branscombe with looters / thieves / vandals etc.

It is not illegal to salvage flotsam and jetsam!

In fact if it were I hate to think of the increased loss of life that would have occurred over the years. Most rescues of ships at sea - even today - are carried out because the rescuer is then going to be able to claim salvage rights It is this that makes the whole operation worthwhile.

No-one is stealing per-se by collecting goods off the beach. If they choose to not report the salvage to the receiver of wreck then they become thieves. Those who choose to not report their salvage are fools and thieves and deserve what fate has in store. Many will get away with it, many others won't. Most goods after immerssion in the sea even for a brief period of time are commercially worthless. The biggest problem is that salt corrodes things very badly very quickly, and the cost of effectively cleaning the salt off / out of items soaked in the sea are un-economic. If the owners of the goods wish to reclaim the property then that is their right. If they prefer to leave it in the hands of the salvor then equally that is their right too.

A few years ago a ship sank off the Scilly Isles, and several containers were washed ashore. being so far from the rest of britain there were no cameras to record what happened, and no outcry over the good work the islanders did in cleaning there own beaches of all the flotsam. Even less reported is the fact that the owners of the things salvaged not only dodn't ask for the stuff back, they made a sizeable payment to the council for the cleanup operation.

Please get informed before you castigate people for doing what is perfectly legal and in these days of increasing environmental concern a good thing.

well said nick.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

If you could trouble yourself, and come down off your high-horse long enough Nick, you may see that I am perfectly equated with the law thank you, and it is the outdatedness of the said law, that gives people the right to vandalise, and take other peoples property.

Well, no doubt when 'The Law' is changed to prevent such vulturistic behaviour by a bunch of "Grab what you can, and f***k everyone else" morons, they will finally get punished in Law, along with other crooks!

I am sure that if it had been your expensive Tackle, or your personal effects that these [Edited to remove a racist term - John S] were rifling through...then you would want 'The Law' to stop them?...Or are you one of the "All property is theft" mindset?... In which case, you would no doubt be more than happy to give everything you own away?

Just because it is Lawful, does not make it right!

Edited by John S

Hear hear Nick. I too am getting a wee bit tired of uninformed people putting in their two bits worth about the Law of Salvage, when they know nothing about the topic.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Yeah, but there's "salvage" and there's "bunch of chavs turning up with boltcutters" :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Yeah, but there's "salvage" and there's "bunch of chavs turning up with boltcutters" :D

As far as I know it is not illegal to open a box washed up on the beach. Just because the box is 40' long and has a seal on it changes nothing.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It's not the salvage laws that bothers me. If they want to take the stuff let them, but, take all the crap that it's wrapped in as well. Don't just open a package and see it's contents are useless, then sling everything back on the beach.

And I haven't seen much evidence of them helping the authorities, deal with the sick and dying wildlife.

I would have thought that after they pick up the rubbish, then throwing it back onto the beach would be breaking some law.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

As far as I know it is not illegal to open a box washed up on the beach. Just because the box is 40' long and has a seal on it changes nothing.

But it is illegal to go out equipped for burglary ;)

I'm not questioning the law here and, when it started and people were 'claiming' odd boxes from spilt containers, it seemed a bit of a laugh. I'd question the moral standards of somebody who opens a sealed box, knowing that they are going to deprive the rightful owner of their goods, though. All this talk of insurance is rubbish - what if some of those containers contain family heirlooms and possesions of dead relatives? Money doesn't solve that. Let the poor sods try to get their own stuff back first, I say.

We're all entitled to have differences of opinion.

P.S. I hope the DSS are spotting the ones that are claiming disability benefit, or any benefit if the goods are being sold. They keep advertising on the TV with their "No ifs, no buts" campaign. Perfect opportunity to nab a few, I reckon :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE