Saw this in the SAN

maidstonemike

The Dover Sea Angling Boat Christmas competition was fished in the comfort of Fan Bay north of Dover harbour and it saw Derek Smith of Dover repeat his recent victory in the Cod only competition winning the festive event with 51 fish for 40lb 2oz. Second was Dover's Chris Ryan with 34lb 15oz which included the biggest fish a codling of 2lb 8oz. third was Chris's con Ben Ryan with 32lb 2oz and the pair also took the Pairs prize with a combined weight of 67lb 1oz.

Notice....51 fish...for 40lb 2 oz. All undersized Codling. tiddlers, it makes no mention of these tiny fish being returned, I hope they were. Does anyone know?

Guest Ferret1959
The Dover Sea Angling Boat Christmas competition was fished in the comfort of Fan Bay north of Dover harbour and it saw Derek Smith of Dover repeat his recent victory in the Cod only competition winning the festive event with 51 fish for 40lb 2oz. Second was Dover's Chris Ryan with 34lb 15oz which included the biggest fish a codling of 2lb 8oz. third was Chris's con Ben Ryan with 32lb 2oz and the pair also took the Pairs prize with a combined weight of 67lb 1oz.

Notice....51 fish...for 40lb 2 oz. All undersized Codling. tiddlers, it makes no mention of these tiny fish being returned, I hope they were. Does anyone know?

Err would they all be undersize?

How, or have I missed something?

:clap2: I don't know as I didn't fish it, I only printed the results but it could be run on a weight for measure system, like SAMF do. :clap2:

Well, 51 fish, weighing a total of 40lb. If there was a 10 pounder in there, then 50 fish would only weigh 30lb, even smaller. If they all weighed the same, only 12 and a half ounces each. These very young Codling shouldn't be taken for any reason should they?

Surely anyone with a bit of common sense would put back any Codling under 4lb as a minimum. Problem is, I detest competitions, taking any tiny fish for gain. Makes me blood boil. We can't complain about commercials when anglers are doing this.

That's your personal point of view Mike and obviously you are entitled to it. I try not to judge other anglers unless they are behaving illegally which I doubt very much this group are, would you advertise an illegal activity in this way ?? My belief here is what Norm has stated. This will be a catch - weigh - return match, they are catching on apparently. All the fish go back alive. I have no issue with that. Would find it boring myself but if there is nothing else to go for then why not.

Live and let live Mike, and ease up on the 4 pounder thing I would be restricted to 1 fish a year if that became a rule. :P:o :o

That's your personal point of view Mike and obviously you are entitled to it. I try not to judge other anglers unless they are behaving illegally which I doubt very much this group are, would you advertise an illegal activity in this way ?? My belief here is what Norm has stated. This will be a catch - weigh - return match, they are catching on apparently. All the fish go back alive. I have no issue with that. Would find it boring myself but if there is nothing else to go for then why not.

Live and let live Mike, and ease up on the 4 pounder thing I would be restricted to 1 fish a year if that became a rule. :P:o :o

Ha, you mgiht be right glennk!

Hi Mike

Reading closely, it says that his previous victory was a cod only match - it does not say that this match was cod only. Likely to be a bag of whiting, dabs, pout etc, with odd codling thrown in no doubt, meaning that 51 sized fish would likely equate to 40 odd lbs...

Tight Lines

Shaun

"which included the biggest fish a codling of 2lb 8oz"

:yucky:

:clap2: A 2lb 8oz codling is above legal size and a nice meal too. If it was run on SAMF weight to measure rules, a cod of a certain length is given a set weight, as are other fish. A 30cm pout would score less than a 30cm codling but more than a 30cm garfish, do you get the drift. No fish need to be kept as they are measured, witnessed and released without coming to the scales. Very conservation minded are SAMF. :clap2: