Saw this in the SAN

maidstonemike

"If"

and "If" it was not?

Then a 30cm codling would be below legal size limit and should be returned alive and well, simple as that. I know of no angling club member who would do any different, we would be appalled at anyone who killed a fish that size. ( I always forgive the kids as I think they know no better and I would offer them advice for the future).

To be quite honest from what I've read its mostly non club members who seem to be unaware of legal size limits.

Im going to re-iterate this so that it might be better understood.

As i said, reading CLOSELY...

"Derek Smith of Dover repeat his recent victory in the Cod only competition" - This line is refering to a cod only match which this chap Derek had previously won, hence he "repeated his recent victory", to go on and win this festive match also, with his 51 fish.

Nowhere in the text does it state that the festive match in dispute was cod only, meaning that the majority of fish were likely to be other species, and all of size.

Tight Lines

Shaun

Im going to re-iterate this so that it might be better understood.

As i said, reading CLOSELY...

"Derek Smith of Dover repeat his recent victory in the Cod only competition" - This line is refering to a cod only match which this chap Derek had previously won, hence he "repeated his recent victory", to go on and win this festive match also, with his 51 fish.

Nowhere in the text does it state that the festive match in dispute was cod only, meaning that the majority of fish were likely to be other species, and all of size.

:clap2: Thanks for clearing that up Shaun, as I said, I wasn't at the match, I only print the results. If the fishing is so poor that measure and release is the only way to have a match then that's what happens. You might as well get points for small fish that go back than put them back and get nothing for them as you have caught something. Nobody deliberately targets small fish if there are bigger ones to be caught but by getting points for throwbacks at least you don't blank if it's a hard night. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Jan 27 2007, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: Thanks for clearing that up Shaun, as I said, I wasn't at the match, I only print the results. If the fishing is so poor that measure and release is the only way to have a match then that's what happens. You might as well get points for small fish that go back than put them back and get nothing for them as you have caught something. Nobody deliberately targets small fish if there are bigger ones to be caught but by getting points for throwbacks at least you don't blank if it's a hard night. :clap2:

Hi Norm,

Just trying to put minds at ease. It looked like this thread was brought about by people that are concerned that lots of underzised fish were wieghed in, and i just can't see that happening. Someone needs to stick up for match angling now and again :)

Tight Lines

Shaun

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Jan 27 2007, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: Thanks for clearing that up Shaun, as I said, I wasn't at the match, I only print the results. If the fishing is so poor that measure and release is the only way to have a match then that's what happens. You might as well get points for small fish that go back than put them back and get nothing for them as you have caught something. Nobody deliberately targets small fish if there are bigger ones to be caught but by getting points for throwbacks at least you don't blank if it's a hard night. :clap2:

Hi Norm,

Just trying to put minds at ease. It looked like this thread was brought about by people that are concerned that lots of underzised fish were wieghed in, and i just can't see that happening. Someone needs to stick up for match angling now and again :)

:clap2: Thanks Shaun, it's hard enough to summon the enthusiasm to fish the beach at the moment, apart from flounders there's not a lot about, unless you get the odd bass etc as we rarely get cod from the beach here. The matches down south are mostly measure and release now with undersize fish scoring, but less points than a sizeable fish, it helps beat the blanks and it's keeping people fishing until the better fish arrive. :clap2:

Nothing wrong with a bit of match fishing Boys. I really enjoy it and we have lots of youngsters in our club coming through too. Each to their own of course.

Here's my catch from last night which I won our match with. Mikes size limit seems to have improved the quality of my fish with all these being over the 4 pound mark.

Shall we make it that you should return all fish under 10 pounds ?

23poundbag.jpg

Edited by glennk

if you look closely you can just pick out fient net marks on the fish

23poundbag.jpg

seems winter/spring /summer/ autum/ glenn has turned to the dark side and started to fish commercially

nah joking aside m8 nice bag

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Guest challenge
if you look closely you can just pick out fient net marks on the fish

23poundbag.jpg

seems winter/spring /summer/ autum/ glenn has turned to the dark side and started to fish commercially

nah joking aside m8 nice bag

he might be able to tie the odd hook onto a bit of line, but I would be very much surprised if he would be able to make a net never mind set one and catch those fish in it.

A good nights fishing if you ask me. Give credit where it’s dew.