Speed tests

Si...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine are a bit poor at the moment, just signed up to bts all singing hub and hub phone thing, should have stayed with ntl really, they tell me it takes up to 10 days for it to get to full speed, well, i can see the exchange from my house, and they recon im going to get about 5.5mbps, so how close do you really have to be to get the full 8mbps!!!

Download Speed: 5062 kbps (632.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 381 kbps (47.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

the bt broadband line is still disconecting weeks after it started ,at 1.5mb its slower than 960kb ,each time i start my pc the speeds different :rolleyes:

its gone from 560kb to 1.5mb but ofcourse the download speeds are a tenth of that

it says connected at 820kbps this time

Date 16/02/07 08:15:59 Speed Down 470.03 Kbps ( 0.5 Mbps ) Speed Up 338.65 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I am with Orange and in mid January, at no cost, they "upgraded" me from 2Mbps to up to 8Mbps.

Since then I suffer about 8-12 disconnections between 4pm and midnight each day.

I have had numerous conversations with young Indian children in their overseas technical department, all have promised that it will improve within 24 hours and that BT have been notified.

Its clearly not Orange's fault, but I may move back to their "beginners" package at 2 Mbps, at least I won't keep getting cut off.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I am with Orange and in mid January, at no cost, they "upgraded" me from 2Mbps to up to 8Mbps.

Since then I suffer about 8-12 disconnections between 4pm and midnight each day.

I have had numerous conversations with young Indian children in their overseas technical department, all have promised that it will improve within 24 hours and that BT have been notified.

Its clearly not Orange's fault, but I may move back to their "beginners" package at 2 Mbps, at least I won't keep getting cut off.

Same here Cranfield, I used to be with Freeserve then Wanadoo and never had any problems with either of them. Since Orange took over though I've had nothing but aggravation !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

• 2 weeks later...

mmm, im a little confused using broadbandmax.co.uk the speedo is in mbps

my dl speed is showing just past the 6mb mark on the speedo, but the result to the left shows 6365 kbps

"wos gaaan on"

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

您在来信中写道

• 2 weeks later...
6365 / 1024 = 6.2158203125 Mbps

1024 Kilobytes in a Megabyte

Hi SI oops forgot about this thread,

Broadband is in Megabits not megabytes, bits normally refer to data transfer (1kilobit= 1000 bits) and bytes are mormally used to refer to storage space (1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes) dont get to thinking that because you have a 5.5mb connection that you are downloading 5.5 meg of data, when your ISP offers you a 5.5Mb connection, its megaBits not MegaBytes

to get your actual data download you need to divide by 8, 1024 divided by 8 = 128KB

bt are offering me 5.5mb so thats 5.5 x 128 = 704KB/sec, if you look below, thats just under what i should be getting, it will be more/less at different times of the day.

from BBMAX

Download Speed: 5170 kbps (646.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 382 kbps (47.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

notice, that its stating 5170kbps, well its going to that on the speedo to but refering to it as megabits on that, is it just me or have they made a mistake, ah well, ive sorted the maths anyway lolol

5170kbps x 128KB = 661760 (im asuming this is MEGABITS)

661760 / 1024 = 646.2 KB/s

pheeeeyeeeew.

Edited by Gray-Catchpole

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

您在来信中写道

now on a network card

Download Speed: 932 kbps (116.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 375 kbps (46.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

the card was a pig to install ,it instantly gave resourse overkill!

4 (yes 4) bit graphics ,pages taking 10 mins to load (just getting to hardware manager) strangely the graphics card had all the conflicts after an hour of faffing around disabling this and that without result ,i swopped pci slots and away every went back to normal ,hey ho

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson