More comparisons?

Guest Silver Back

Your "Reeds in the wind" photo (the orignal, not the crop) - though not exactly my cup of tea usually, a very simple subject and a photo that I found pretty interesting photo to look at and play with. I liked it.

Dont often play with other peoples photos - but took a copy of that one and played a wee bit for 2 mins with the contrast, and tiny bit of saturation (Im no fan at all of over-saturated un-natural looking shots) .... just to get rid of washed out feeling, and to emphisise detail in the reeds a more (be it at cost of washing out the sky, but that could be fixed easily) ... Think if I was to look to take a shot like that, would compose a tiny bit differently - Id adjust with the depth of field and shutter speeds get more in focus and sharp, especially to get the heads of some of the reeds in forefront in focus as well, and try to make sure at least one full heads in forefront is sharply in focus at front and some of its stalk ... so your leading the persons eys from bottom to top when they look at the shot, they look at it and can see its sky and reeds, then the detail of one of the heads jumps out at them, and as they look further into the photo see more detail from each reed ...... and of course use an ND Grad Filter sort out the sky to give the shot some more punch, but making the most of the available clouds .... to highlight the reeds in the bottom, and have pretty colours in clouds and their formations.

Anyway, nice shot - I liked it. and yep - you should of brought your DSLR :)

Gillies

Edited by Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Lovely picture Saul :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Another reed shot taken using a Canon G5 and a little playing around in photoshop CS

ReedsbySaul.jpg

Cheers

Saul

OK???? 'but' . . . . meaningless if you dont tell us what you did, a sight of the Exif as well? Is it possible/practical with an affordable DSLR or Compact type 'D' camera, and an affordable 'Elements' version of PS??? :headhurt: yes, my head does hurt!

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

OK???? 'but' . . . . meaningless if you dont tell us what you did, a sight of the Exif as well? Is it possible/practical with an affordable DSLR or Compact type 'D' camera, and an affordable 'Elements' version of PS??? :headhurt: yes, my head does hurt!

Sorry CJS2, just tried to get the exif data for you but i-photo wont let me copy it ????

But the main thing I did was under expose by 1 stop, the rest in PS was simple levels and dodge and burn old dark room style

and I'm sure elements lets you do that.

One thing I did notice with that shot is that it was one of around 20 shots taken all trying different things with various results

and thats the great thing with digital , it's free to play and learn !

There were plenty of crappy shots also :D:headhurt:

Cheers

Saul

Sorry CJS2, just tried to get the exif data for you but i-photo wont let me copy it ????

But the main thing I did was under expose by 1 stop, the rest in PS was simple levels and dodge and burn old dark room style

and I'm sure elements lets you do that.

One thing I did notice with that shot is that it was one of around 20 shots taken all trying different things with various results

and thats the great thing with digital , it's free to play and learn !

There were plenty of crappy shots also :D:headhurt:

Cheers

Saul

Hay, I'm not the only one to get load of crap to get one, thats a relief! Seriously, I remember listening to David Baily being interviewed years ago. He reckoned to get one worth while shot on a 36 roll, and would often used up to 10 rolls per subject, he said "films cheap, when weighed against an unrepeatable moment". One presumes he appreciates 'Digital' :rolleyes:

Certainly an advantage with a DSLR, very much easier to change the setting for a 'super bracketing' session!

I must get out with the DSLR, soon have the boat back in the water, that will help, water shots, love my water shots.