AnglersNet Seti@Home Team

corydoras

What have i done wrong?

Downloaded software, signed up downloaded project, PC processors now running at 100% constantly, over heat alarms now going off, resource share is set at 100% how do i change it?

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changed preferences, including general preferences, both PC processors still at 100% had to suspend, when PC is idle processors are at 0% any idea`s do want to give it a go, but cannot have processors at 100%

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

Changed preferences, including general preferences, both PC processors still at 100% had to suspend, when PC is idle processors are at 0% any idea`s do want to give it a go, but cannot have processors at 100%

go into your preferences

and use the edit link at the bottom and assign your cpu to say between 50-90percent and see if it helps,ive got mine at 100 and have had no probs but having 9 internal fans i should think not:)

dont forget to use the update funtion on bionic interface after the changes have been made

let us know if it helps:)

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

What have i done wrong?

Downloaded software, signed up downloaded project, PC processors now running at 100% constantly, over heat alarms now going off, resource share is set at 100% how do i change it?

You have not done anything wrong.

Your Processors should be running at 100% all the time with BOINC installed. The problem is that your CPU cooling fan is not matched to your Processor.

The BOINC program replaces the 'Idle Process'. most of the time the Idle Process will be runnning at 95%-99%. BOINC use the idel time to run its own process. Your CPU is overheating becasue your CPU heatsink is not matched to your processor. I suspect that if you were to ask your machine to do some other real work, rendering video for 18 hrs for example you would have the same issue.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

i do have rendering probs, and overtemp alarms.

You would have thought suppliers would fit fans man enough to cope with this.

It is not an uncommon problem. Do you know what the processor is in your machine?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

when was the last time you cleaned the crap off the heatsink and fan, if its been a year then you can bet its gonna have a thick build up of dust and other crap, this doesnt allow the air to pass through the heatsink cooling it down.

i previously neglected my heatsink on the cpu and when doing anything that needed alot of cpu the fan would kick off and go like crazy to try and cool it. once i cleaned it ive never heard it go off once since then and its nice and cool

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

when was the last time you cleaned the crap off the heatsink and fan, if its been a year then you can bet its gonna have a thick build up of dust and other crap, this doesnt allow the air to pass through the heatsink cooling it down.

i previously neglected my heatsink on the cpu and when doing anything that needed alot of cpu the fan would kick off and go like crazy to try and cool it. once i cleaned it ive never heard it go off once since then and its nice and cool

It is quite possible that Andy is correct here. I open up my case from time to time and give the inside a good dusting out. A stiffish 1/2" painbrush and a bit of gentle hoovering can do wonders.

It is also possible that the fan on the heatsink has packed in or is on the way out and is not spinning fast enough. If you need a replacement fan that does not sound like a Harrier Jump Jet spooling up this site is worth a peek.

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products

I have 2 x AMD MP2800 processors, inside looks clean enough, but did have probs in summer when ambient temperature was high.

I might invest in 2 new processor fans

Does it harm the processors if they are running at 100%?

I have 2 x AMD MP2800 processors, inside looks clean enough, but did have probs in summer when ambient temperature was high.

I might invest in 2 new processor fans

Does it harm the processors if they are running at 100%?

Absolutely no harm to to your CPUs running at 100%, as long as they are adequately cooled.