Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Forecast

Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Forecast, February 2007

Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

As I sit down to write this fishing forecast, I am puzzled and mystified by our current weather patterns. In first part of January, a northerly shift in the jet stream brought about by El Nino, delivered spring like conditions to Central Florida. This warmer and windier weather not only confused the fish, but also the anglers. Our typical winter fishing patterns experienced in January failed to develop completely, and now back to back cold fronts could shift conditions again, so who knows what lies ahead for us this spring.

Taking into consideration how this phenomena has effected our January fishing, we can only hope fishing pattern will continue to shift more to spring like, unless Mother Nature has other plans.

Offshore, kingfish will still be consistent along the inshore reefs and wrecks, and they will remain there as long as the water temperature stays above 68 degrees. When targeting kings, focus on bottom structure in the areas of 8A reef, Pelican Flats, and Bethel Shoals to the south. Also look for cobia and amberjack to be present on the inshore wrecks like the Carol Lee, Dutch, and Sub Wreck out of Port Canaveral. Additionally, live bait is sometimes tough to find this time of year, so always carry a box of frozen Spanish sardines with you as backup.

Near-shore, look for tripletail concentrations to improve greatly along the Port Canaveral buoy line and under floating weeds and structure, and for cobia to move in shadowing manta rays if the surface water temperatures reach the upper sixties. As of this writing, the cobia and rays have been plentiful near-shore, but high seas have kept most anglers off of the water. As water temperatures drop, the cobia will most likely move south or back to the wrecks, but we will have to wait for the winds and seas to settle down before we can find out.

Now is also the time for shore anglers to target pompano, bluefish, weakfish, small black drum, sheepshead, Spanish mackerel and whiting in the surf and larger redfish and flounder around the inlets and jetties. As the water temperatures cool, the pompano should move out of the lagoon and gather in the troughs along the beach in search of mole crabs, sand fleas, their favorite winter food source.

Moving inshore, the redfish schools will continue to develop with slot size fish, 19 to 27 inches, holding in the shallow flats, and the larger breeder redfish along the deeper edges, 2 to 3 feet. When targeting these schooling redfish, approach the school as quietly as possible, and make your presentation to an area on the outside edge of the school. If possible, I like to try to pick off fish ranging outside the main group to prevent spooking the entire school. These schools are super spooky, so if you can keep the school from running, you will continue to catch fish. With redfish, it is important to get your bait in front of the fish, and either soft plastics or small weedless spoons will work. Also, when casting artificial, remember to downsize your baits in the winter.

If the weather gets cold, an early start is not necessary, so sleep in and hit the water when sun has warmed the flats a bit. The larger sea trout will often lay in the sandy pot holes seeking the warmest water they can find, so target these sandy spots with small shrimp imitations baits like the Riptide Realistic shrimp fished very slow.

Also, let’s not forget the tailing black drum and redfish on the Banana River Lagoon No Motor Zone. This past week I had the extreme pleasure of fishing the Zone with my good friends Captain Rodney Smith and Rusty Chinnis, and even with overcast and windy conditions, Rusty accomplished his goal of his first hefty black drum on fly, with two slot size redfish to boot. Rodney also managed three snooklets caught in a small feeder creek, and he missed a big black drum, and me, well I did manage to catch three fearsome puffer fish in a row on my secret magic puffer fly.

Last but not least, February is a great time to check out those freshwater fishing holes on the St Johns River, and inshore lakes. Currently some good catches of American shad, speckled perch, and largemouth bass are being reported.

February 9,10,11, 17, and 18th;

Bass Pro Shop Spring Classic Orlando

Coastal Angler Magazine’s Traveling Lagoon Booth

10 Saltwater kayak seminars, seminar times have yet to be scheduled.

February 19, 2007 Gander Mountain Lake Mary, Saltwater Kayak Fishing on Florida’s Space Coast, 7 to 8pm.

March 10, 2007 Mosquito Creek Outdoors Conservation Day Event

Apopka Florida

Hook Kids on Fishing Program 10am – 12pm

Free fishing seminars from 12pm –3pm.

Coastal Angler Magazine’s Traveling Lagoon Booth

April 19, 20, 21st Coastal Angler Magazine Boating and Fishing Expo.

Melbourne, Florida

New Products Showcase throughout the event

Braided Fishing Line Tying Clinic

New Products Seminars

As always, if you have any questions or need information, please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn

www.irl-fishing.com

407-416-1187 on the water

407-366-8085 landline

866-790-8081 toll free

Skank

Nice write up Captain and very interesting reading.Thanks for that :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair