The Spring Crucian thread

Paulg

It is coming round to that wonderful time of year again.....the daffodils are dying back, the bluebells are out, the lawn needs cutting.....oh sod the gardening, I need to be sorting my gear for crucian carp fishing :lol:

As I know a few (!!) of you on here like to pursue crucians, I thought I'd start a thread in the hope I might get some hints on this at times most frustrating of fish! :thumbs:

Looking forwards to early mornings, and late evenings, concentrating on that little dimple of a float next to a lily pad, hoping that it is going to do more than just dance around as a crucian slowly does my head in again......just love it :D

It's definitely that time of year! I had my first session that ended yesterday.

It went pretty well, 9 crucians over two nights. They were shoaled up quite tightly I think.

Going back today for some more I hope.

Rich

A species I'd like to try for ( did today) but I sense there's more to it than simply chucking out a waggler with a red maggot on the hook.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

A species I'd like to try for ( did today) but I sense there's more to it than simply chucking out a waggler with a red maggot on the hook.

Why not it works extremely well all year round if you dont mind small perch

Unfortunately modern crucians or rather brown goldfish must have a couple more braincells than real ones as the appear to be more finicky with the setup and more than the lightest of gear and you wont see them pinching the bait

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I had planned to go today, but the forecast wasn't looking too good so decided against it.....glad I did !!

Anyone who has fished Marsh Farm down in Godalming will know it is a bit of a wind tunnel even on a calm day, so with winds of 40 mph + being expected later this morning I would suspect conditions will be a bit tough today! Instead I'm now hoping to go on Saturday.

It means I have even more time to think about my bait selection for the outing....last spring pastes and pellets seemed to be the best bait, the year before it was prawn sections and the year before that it was little bits of meat.....guess I'll be taking a bit of everything so I can try and work out what takes their fancy this year!

I've had a couple of sessions and it's been a slow start for me. First session is best forgotten, I arrived to find one free swim which was right on the end of a bitterly cold NE wind (Wingham all over again!) and soon into the first night my new bedchair fell to pieces meaning a very cold and uncomfortable night on the floor. I caught quite a few tench but I felt that the crucians were at the other end of the lake in the sheltered water where it felt much warmer, and not wanting to spend another night on the ground I went home early.

Second session was better although compared to others it was a rather meagre return! Just one crucian but it was a PB by an ounce, plus a PB rudd of 1.11, so actually not much to complain about. I was hoping to get among the rudd more this year, so this is an excellent start. Lots of tench again which is fine in the day but very tiring if they feed all night long (which they did!). This last session also provided a bit more useful info about location and where to fish for the crucians, which I'll test next time out. I had a gnawing suspicion I was not quite in the right area but stuck with my initial spot, and it turned out my suspicions were justified as Rich in the next swim caught 9 crus to my one!

Lovely to be back fishing for them though :)

PB rudd:

IMG_3038_zpsgoi5gx1y.jpg

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I do feel a bit guilty about how I am fishing for them, as I know you're supposed to stare intently at the tiny dimple of a carefully shotted pole float - but method feeders/bolt rigs and hair rigged fake baits are very effective ;)

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Looks like you might have a new record to go for. The captor of a 4-10 (not me) is currently having the accuracy of his scales verified.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Photographed a 4.03 for a guy in the next swim yesterday - couldn't match that but I did get another new pb of 3.14 :)