A Nice Catch of Mullet

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbs: sorry wont say poachers anymore :thumbs:

Wrong ave another gess . :rolleyes:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

perspective??? :wallbash:

No just wrong p.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge

This is a very interesting debate.

From just looking at the photo and not taking any of the text in I assumed from what I sore, was a good catch of mullet.

If that same photo was put in say FN with the caption of “local fishermen had great success with a local historical fishery that has benefited this local fishing community for generations.” I would think well done lads.

Now if I was to see that same photo in an angling paper with the headlines “indiscriminate netting destroys the local angling economy in one day” I would assume (because I know nothing of this fishery) that there is something not right here.

Wurzel explained the fishery too us, and I take his word on it every time, because of his vast knowledge of commercial fishing in that part of the world.

On saying that I also understand the frustration that a photo like that might have on a local angler.

Regards.

Guest challenge
I thought Wurzel lived in Kent ?

Kent is south of the wash and that will do for me.

Wurzels fishing experience and knowledge that comes with it is a great commercial contribution factor on this forum.

I tend to trust his opinions of commercial activity and respect his judgement on such matters, much more than I do that of next door neighbours and friends of friends who talk about conveyer belting and old used tyres in cod ends.

While I am answering you I will add that the concentration of boats that you seam to be worrying about “fishing on your doorstep” is in no way anywhere as concentrated as it was when I was fishing glen.

But then again you may have a point. If a much reduced fleet that (because of the number of boats) don’t tend to want to leave a fishery when they have found one. Will fish that fishery until it becomes uneconomical to do so.

Where as years ago we would be fishing at the back of the rock, but would soon move if another fishery was reported somewhere else. If there aren’t the boats scouring around then I would think that the boats that are there would be more reluctant to leave that fishery.

Regards.

Wurzels fishing experience and knowledge that comes with it is a great commercial contribution factor on this forum.

I tend to trust his opinions of commercial activity and respect his judgement on such matters, much more than I do that of next door neighbours and friends of friends who talk about conveyer belting and old used tyres in cod ends.

Steady on Challenge, were beginning to think your posting marrige :love: proposels on here.

Hello Peter

Just as well they don't net freshwater commercially!, and I'm not surprised they can't wipe the Pike out at Grantham and Hanningfield if they only net it once a year.

Funny enough I was going to mention the mullet at Ipswich. Last year there were hardly any compared to the previous year, and the ones that were there looked well scabby and underweight. You probably would still find mullet at your old haunts, but I bet they would be smaller than those you used to catch. I know you'll disagree, but I'm sure there used to be quite a few big mullet in Shotley, I remember commenting to Cliff how big some of them were. We know that's been netted plenty of times, and funny enough the big mullet have disappeared too! There is still the odd big one in there, so he hasn't caught them all, just most of them.

I know what a keen angler you are, probably keener than anyone I know, but because you fish for a living you will always see things slightly different to angler who doesn't fish for a living. The netting of the rivers and lakes scenario was just intended to give you an idea of how sea anglers view things, like what we see in that photo. As you say, they don't net chub, tench and barbel, but if they did, how would you feel? What would you think if you turned up at snake one day and saw someone loading up their truck with big tench, then whenever you fished there you just caught little ones under a pound? Would you carry on angling for them? Then what if you found another good tench water, but then that got netted out too leaving just little fish for you to fish for? I know it's all hypothetical, but I'm just trying to make comparisons that might help you understand how sea anglers feel about inshore netting.

Hello Steve

I think like the bass the mullet fishing around our coast was not at it's best last year, they were very late turning up and did not appear in the numbers of other years.

Again the different perspectives show up, anglers automatically blame local gill netters, I blame environmental conditions.

The only person that I know to have netted Shotley marina is Melvin, with fifty foot of net that is so heavily rigged it would be more suited for growing runner beans against, I don't think he has ever caught any thing in it.

I know what you were trying to imply with the hypothetical netting of freshwater fish. I can only agree it would be a bummer.

I tried eating a barble last summer, I can only say that they are quite safe from any form of commercial exploitation.

No doubt small closed freshwater fisheries would with stand very little if any commercial harvesting, It would be interesting to find out what the fishing is like on lakes and rivers in countries where all fish are considered as food and nothing is released.

Like you said it's all hypothetical because I know there are millions of fish in the sea all over a pound in weight, my nets are always half full never half empty.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Steve

I think like the bass the mullet fishing around our coast was not at it's best last year, they were very late turning up and did not appear in the numbers of other years.

Again the different perspectives show up, anglers automatically blame local gill netters, I blame environmental conditions.

The only person that I know to have netted Shotley marina is Melvin, with fifty foot of net that is so heavily rigged it would be more suited for growing runner beans against, I don't think he has ever caught any thing in it.

I know what you were trying to imply with the hypothetical netting of freshwater fish. I can only agree it would be a bummer.

I tried eating a barble last summer, I can only say that they are quite safe from any form of commercial exploitation.

No doubt small closed freshwater fisheries would with stand very little if any commercial harvesting, It would be interesting to find out what the fishing is like on lakes and rivers in countries where all fish are considered as food and nothing is released.

Like you said it's all hypothetical because I know there are millions of fish in the sea all over a pound in weight, my nets are always half full never half empty.

I understand that a lot of eastern european countries eat a lot of fre3shwater fish especially carp.

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?