Camping spots between Kimmeridge Bay & Chapmans Pool, Dorset

SpeciMan

Hi Speciman,

I have always found this website to be quite interesting in regard to this coastline. and it may be of assistance in trying to plan where you might pitch.

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/kimpool.htm

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

cheers Speciman :thumbs:

have printed out that guide and will have a good read tonight

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Thanks Moonyaker. Going from the first pic in the link there should be a pitch on either side of Chapmans Pool. The vegetation looks established there - less risk of a landslide compared to the center section.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Thanks Moonyaker. Going from the first pic in the link there should be a pitch on either side of Chapmans Pool. The vegetation looks established there - less risk of a landslide compared to the center section.

There are certainly some good spots probably 6-8ft above sea level on the west side round towards Freshwater Bay. Teenagers have built makeshift shelters from driftwood just below the grassed banks of long ago fallen mud - some of which were pretty sophisticated and if you were lucky you might not even need to pitch the tent. There always seems to be an abundance of driftwood in the Chapmans Pool area so no shortage of building materials or firewood.

This Website covers the Wessex Coast from Devon to West Sussex and is a good source of photos and is well worth a browse, but make sure you have time on your hands; it can be a bit too absorbing.

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a wallk around the Chapmans Pool area today to look for camping spots. Found a few in the area although they all involve hauling the kayak over rocks at low water. Plenty of driftwood in the area if I camp out there I will take a small hammer, saw and nails - could make a temporary ramp to slide the kayak over rocks and also a base to pitch the tent on - the ground seemed quite waterlogged. On a sadder note, found what looked like a dead harbour porpoise on the beach. Looked like it had been dead for sometime and had a large gash down its side exposing its rib cage.

Was invited into the lookout hut at St Albans Head & was advised to call the lookout huts at St Albans and Peveril Point first to check on sea state if I were to approach this area from Swanage.

Useful phone numbers:

St Albans Lookout Hut:

01929 439220

Peveril Point Lookout Hut:

01929 422596

Portland Coastguard:

01305 760439

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow