Best Mono or Flouro ?

kestrel

My 12lb X line has come to the end of its days, its become brittle and snaps easily. I can't trust it. I don't really want to buy some new x line as its quite expensive and it didn't seem to last for long, 16-18 months ? Maybe that is an acceptable time for line to last , approx 40 sessions ?

I have tried braid in the past and I did not really take to it.

Whats the best mono or Flouro main line that you have used regardless of price ?

Is it X line,GT80, sensor,soft steel, ESP ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently i'm using Daiwa Infinity HT, it's a nice clear line with a fluoro coating. I've been using it since last summer and i've had no real problems with it so far. Seems to have good abrasion resistance, casts well and importantly it sinks. When i spool up again in the summer i will probably go for it again. :)

The best line i have ever used is Shimano Technium, fantastic line, really reliable. It ticked all the boxes for me except one, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I still use it for Piking but for carp i prefer a clear mono. It's bloody expensive too, rrp £32.99 for a mono!

Paul.

Edited by pikergonecarpin
There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Mono ages badly when exposed to sunlight and I never trust it for more than a year even when I'm not using a particular reel very often.

Fluoro does not break down that quickly but tends to be slightly more stiff and does sink. If those are bad things for you, go with another mono.

I personally like the XPS (BassPro's house brand) fluoro and have enjoyed using Shakespeare® Cajun Line™ Cajun Red Lightnin'™ mono line. The Cajun line is very red.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've used Shimano Technium for quite a while now and love the stuff. However, I'm just about to spool up with 15lb Nash Bullet line, so will see how I get on with that.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I would never use flouro as a hooklength never mind a mainline. The stuff is just brittle and very easily breaks. That to my mind means that any small nicks could well render it useless. I use 15lb big game and have done for years. It's as strong as a tow rope with the only downside that it's one of the thicker lines on the market.

Rob.

Always used Daiwa Sensor for carp fishing. Reasonably priced and a reliable line that does the job.

Never had a problem with it :thumbs:

Our chief weapon is surprise

I use 15lb big game and have done for years. It's as strong as a tow rope with the only downside that it's one of the thicker lines on the market.

Rob.

The fact that it's one of the the thicker lines on the market is probably the reason that it's "as strong as a tow rope"

Most manufacturers/suppliers of standard mono tend to understate the BS of their lines, whilst those manufacturers/suppliers of so called 'hi tec' lines tend to overstate the BS AND understate the diameter.

This has been going on for years and it's about time the Tackle Manufacturers did something about this mis-labelling - it's probably also an infringement of the trades description act.

In the meantime, it's probably best to compare line diameters instead of 'breaking strains' to get a true idea of the quality of the line.

A few years ago I tested some of the lines available for match anglers hook links, didn't include fluorocarbons, just normal mono & 'hi tec' lines - The variations in Dia/Breaking strains had to be seen to be believed...............

Cheers

Barry

Barry

Hi Barry,

The EFTTA have been testing lines for a while now.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/eftta_070806.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi Barry,

The EFTTA have been testing lines for a while now.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/eftta_070806.html

Thanks for that Elton, just had a look at the EFFTA test results, they show almost exactly what the problem is but appear to have done very little to rectify it.

They don't identify which are standard mono's, 'high tec' mono's, or fluoro but you can have a good guess at which is which, by looking at the test results.

I also had a look at their list of 'approved' lines and, unless I've missed something fundamental, none of the 'approved' lines appear to have been tested.

It would be interesting to see whether the companies with line on the 'approved' list are large contributors to EFFTA.

It may be also worth noting that, at least some of the EFFTA board members have very strong links to some of those companies................

I'd be the last to say that the whole thing appears to be a BS exercise - but you have to wonder.................

Cheers

Barry

Barry