Best Mono or Flouro ?

kestrel

Steve - if you ever change your mind just let me know and I'll be glad to send a spool across the pond.

Cheers, Newt!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
My 12lb X line has come to the end of its days, its become brittle and snaps easily. I can't trust it. I don't really want to buy some new x line as its quite expensive and it didn't seem to last for long, 16-18 months ? Maybe that is an acceptable time for line to last , approx 40 sessions ?

I have tried braid in the past and I did not really take to it.

Whats the best mono or Flouro main line that you have used regardless of price ?

Is it X line,GT80, sensor,soft steel, ESP ?

I'm using ultima power-plus mono, 10lb for the winter months as it's a slightly smaller diameter and 15lb for summer. It sinks well, is pretty resiliant and not overly stretchy.

Was tempted by the flouro until I realised the price difference for decent line. *ouch*

I'm using ultima power-plus mono, 10lb for the winter months as it's a slightly smaller diameter and 15lb for summer. It sinks well, is pretty resiliant and not overly stretchy.

Was tempted by the flouro until I realised the price difference for decent line. *ouch*

Flouro is expensive compared to most mono, I have spooled up with GT80 15LB line, its diameter seems quite thick though, so it should be strong. I read a magazine a couple of days ago, probably 18 months old, where they tested mono and braid with a delkim and tested bites detected. Braid won easily on all the tests. The lead was lifted 6 feet in the air with mono , no bite registered on a tight line, how will we ever know if we have a bite/run with mono.

I just worry about hook pulls etc when using braid. My rods are 2.5 lb tc so maybe I'll be ok if I used braid, its just scary when you get a fish the other end of braid ? :unsure:

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Flouro is expensive compared to most mono, I have spooled up with GT80 15LB line, its diameter seems quite thick though, so it should be strong. I read a magazine a couple of days ago, probably 18 months old, where they tested mono and braid with a delkim and tested bites detected. Braid won easily on all the tests. The lead was lifted 6 feet in the air with mono , no bite registered on a tight line, how will we ever know if we have a bite/run with mono.

I just worry about hook pulls etc when using braid. My rods are 2.5 lb tc so maybe I'll be ok if I used braid, its just scary when you get a fish the other end of braid ? :unsure:

I've only used braid as my hook-length, and have to agree I got better bite indication than using mono.

I'm not confident enough setting up my own hair rigs using braid yet, so I still tend to use mono unless I can get a prepacked rig.

2.5lb TC seems a bit heavy, what fish are you regularly pulling out?