Best Mono or Flouro ?

kestrel

Any recommendations for a good sinking mono? I tried Berkley Transition (Fluoro) last year but panicked every time the alarms went off not knowing if the line was going to bust for no reason.

The waters shallow and gin clear so I need to get a line right down on the deck. Backleads are used for marginal stuff but when out on the chuck I really need the line to be a sinking variety.

Any suggestions?

wolf.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for fluoro lines directly for carp angling since I use braid for that.

However, I do keep a reel spooled with fluoro line specifically for fishing crankbaits since it allows an extra bit of depth for the lure as it sinks rather than floating (braid) or neutral (mono). The BassPro XPS line has not given me problems and I find it reliable and not too expensive. I have only used the 14 & 17 lb lines but have no reason to think the other b/s would not do equally well.

Since it does not absorb water like mono, the wet knot strength is the same as dry which is a comfort and the abrasion resistance is good.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can't speak for fluoro lines directly for carp angling since I use braid for that.

However, I do keep a reel spooled with fluoro line specifically for fishing crankbaits since it allows an extra bit of depth for the lure as it sinks rather than floating (braid) or neutral (mono). The BassPro XPS line has not given me problems and I find it reliable and not too expensive. I have only used the 14 & 17 lb lines but have no reason to think the other b/s would not do equally well.

Since it does not absorb water like mono, the wet knot strength is the same as dry which is a comfort and the abrasion resistance is good.

Newt, I wonder whether a thinner but somewhat stronger braid might not get crankbaits to work deeper still even though it floats?

As you probably recall I prefer braid for lure fishing because of its extremely low stretch, although I appreciate the abrasion resistance isn't brilliant. For this reason it may be that the braid would need to be as thick as the fluorocarbon, in which case the advantage would be negated.

I haven't got any suitable fluorocarbon at present to do a comparative field test with. Can you help by any chance? Cheers. :thumbs:

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

surely some one out there has used Gardner gt80 before ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Steve - the fluoro will get a lipped crankbait deeper. I can bottom bounce a lure using fluoro and not reach bottom using the same lure and braid. I wondered about it several years ago and did some testing.

I'll be glad to send you a spool to try. Just let me know what b/s and I will be sending 200yd spools since I like you but not nearly enough for the big spool prices. :D :D

Click Here to see the b/s available.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Any recommendations for a good sinking mono? I tried Berkley Transition (Fluoro) last year but panicked every time the alarms went off not knowing if the line was going to bust for no reason.

The waters shallow and gin clear so I need to get a line right down on the deck. Backleads are used for marginal stuff but when out on the chuck I really need the line to be a sinking variety.

Any suggestions?

Most monos float (at least they do when new), whilst a few just about sink. These include Maxima/Drennan Specimen Plus and Gold Label Pro Gold. Jim Gibbinson tells me that Shimano Exage/Catana also sinks.

I had the same problem as you but wanted the line to sink to avoid line bites when bream fishing. Again like you I therefore tried fluorocarbon or flurocarbon/nylon mixes. None was satisfactory so this year I'll be reverting back to Pro Gold but also trying Exage.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions.......?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

surely some one out there has used Gardner gt80 before ?

Not one I've tried I'm afraid. It's got a good reputation for suppleness in particular. However if it's just an improvement to GR60 it'll be too low stretch for my liking. But then all my fishing is at short range.

Steve - the fluoro will get a lipped crankbait deeper. I can bottom bounce a lure using fluoro and not reach bottom using the same lure and braid. I wondered about it several years ago and did some testing.

I'll be glad to send you a spool to try. Just let me know what b/s and I will be sending 200yd spools since I like you but not nearly enough for the big spool prices. :D :D

Click Here to see the b/s available.

Many thanks for the offer, Newt!

My question was more out of curiosity than anything else in case I did some more reservoir trolling. This is unlikely in the foreseeable future though.

For lure fishing I'm very happy with the Power Pro that you kindly sent me. Indeed I've since bought some more from Forum member Graham Elliott.

Thanks again!

Steve - if you ever change your mind just let me know and I'll be glad to send a spool across the pond.