Guess the pike weight

Houseplant

My guess is around 17 lb for a pike of 36 inches in length.

A 36in Pike would register a little over 14½lb on the Mona scale. Fred Buller showed that this scale generally underestimated the weight of the fish - though WAS a useful approximation for Broads Pike. (See graph in Pike by Fred Buller)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

thanks, some variation there, it's difficult to estimate, i conservatively put it at 16 lb. one of those days when i regretted not routinely carrying scales. there is certainly a tinge of red on the fins.

to give a little background, it came from a small river well into darkess. as i was walking home, i saw a swirl right up against the bank. rod was still set-up, so i tossed in a mackeral head and a few minutes later, this beauty was on the bank :)

Edited by Sipadan

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Shame you couldnt measure the girth as well as this formula is quite good.

weight = length x girth x girth ÷ 800

(W = L x G2 ÷ 800)

But I would have thought at a guess 16/17lb wouldnt be far off.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Ferret1959
A genuine question, it was caught a few weeks back, before the cold spell. It was 36 inch long. Please no debate about lack of unhooking matt, it was an unexpected capture, the grass was soft and checked for sharp debrtis.

post-4157-1170933736_thumb.jpg

What were you fishing for???

Pike, but it's the first fish from this water in around 50 that hasn't been a jack, in fact the first fish that's bigger than 4lb or so. They're usually unhooked in the water/net (barbless single) and released straight away, so no need for a mat.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire