First time feeder fishing

StephenP

Hi guys.

I recently bought a feeder rod which i intend to use at the weekend. I bought a reel with it which has a bait runner on it. If I'm using quiver tips should I have the bait runner on or off when its in the rod rest? Also if I use a size 18 hook with hair rigged pellets on 8lbs line will that be heavy enough to land decent sized fish?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Stephen

Your set up sounds a little unbalanced to me.

What size pellet are you planning on using, for small (6mm) pellets i would use a size 12-14 hook

with about 5lb line

If your hair rigging larger pellets you need to increase the hook size accordingly and the main line

8lbs line to an 18 hook would just tend to straighten the hook.

As for the baitrunner it really depends on how your fishing if your planning on watching the tip with your hand near the rod at all times i see little need to switch the baitrunner on especially as your rod would be at an angle to your line. Theres a risk of it being pulled off the rests anyway.

If your pointing straignt at your baits using a bolt rig set up definatelty turn on the bait runner.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

What exactly do you mean by saying "decent fish"? An 8lbs line is an 8lbs line, you won't land heavier fish that's over its breaking strain. And yeah, terry is right, you don't need bait runner if you're going to hold the rod and watch the tip, otherwise you will also need a bite indicator e.g. swinger or whatever you call those thingies. :)

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I thought the hook was slightly small as well. I'm going to use either 1 or 2 8mm halibut pellets on the hair so maybe I should try a size 12 or 14 hook.

I'm using an open ended cage feeder with groundbait in it. What size hook length would you recommend?

Thanks.

Probably not a lot of point in using a baitrunner (turned on) and a quivertip together.

An 8lbs line is an 8lbs line, you won't land heavier fish that's over its breaking strain.

Not sure if that's what you meant to say but it's perfectly possible to land a fish of a heavier weight than the b/s of the line. See below.

Fish: 20 something, Line 5lb b/s

RoachpitR.jpg