Pop-Up Rigs for

Polly

Anyone got any favourites they'd like to share with us..................

The lake I'm on this year has silt channels at 30mtrs and i'm told these are good spots to target, trouble is most of my carping to date has been done on gravel pits with little or no silty areas. I've always aimed to fish on the gravel patches (between weedbeds) and never experienced silt. I assume po-up approach is best but how do I place a baited rig into the silt and be confident it's still in view of passing fish???????????

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

although iv not caught on them before id be confident using chod rigs in this situation, use a nice little lead 1 - 1 1/2 oz n feather it down to stop it plugging to deep. have a play around and see what suits you most. i have caught over thick silt on big pva bags, with the lead inside the bag just fishing a bottom bait as this should also stop the lead plugging the silt to deep, but if you want to fish singles or little bait quantities for this time of year id go with the choddies.

steve.

Polly - bear in mind that a carp has chemosensors on the belly so they can actually 'smell' what is in the muck as they swim over it.

You may want to use some sort of pop-up rig or z-rig but maybe just a piece of water soluable foam on the hook or hair to float your bait for a few moments and let it settle to the silt.

Sorry I can't give you any specifics because I have never fished a standard sort of pop-up and have only seen photos of them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My personal favourite, when fishing on silt, is to use a Helicopter-rig with a 12inch (depending on the depth of silt) braided hook-link.

Incidentally, the easiest way to find the depth of silt is to cast out a lead with a bit of white wool tied to it. Leave for a few minutes, reel in and the depth of the silt will be stained into the wool. ;)

For bait I use dead white's (scolded maggots) super-glued to a small 'hair-rigged' 8mm corkball. I then use just enough lead (from lead-core) wrapped around the shank of the long-shanked hook to sink the hook-bait (either super glue it in place or put heat-shrink over the top). If the lead-core doesn't sink the cork-ball then add some putty around the eye of the hook, again, just enough to sink the cork-ball and maggots.

I also attach some pop-up foam on the hook as I want the cork-ball/maggots to sit in the upper layer of the silt - not on top, but in the upper layer. ;)

For freebies I use dead maggots again. These can be 'paulted out or put into small PVA bags with a stones put in to make the bag sink (don't forget to pierce the bag!).

The carp will forage around in the silt finding the dead maggots - it's great to watch if you get the chance. B) The water starts to fizz and colour-up, then you start getting 'liners', then you're in!

The maggots/cork-ball will be sucked in with ease and with the hook 'turning' and 'pricking', the carp will bolt. :)

Make sure your leads aren't too heavy as they'll plug, but then don't go too light either.

I wouldn't be put off by using a lead-core leader of up to 12ft, and without a second thought.

Hope that helps,

Garth.

**Edited for poor spellin and gramma. :rolleyes:

Dr. Gaffer - as always, you are a star with your carping knowledge. That sounds very interesting.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I prefer the same rig as gaffer, when helicopter rigs are permitted on the lake. I don't use pop ups on it though as I'd rather my baits are in the silt with the natural food and freebies. If I can't use that rig then I just use a semi fixed lead with bottom bait still.

If you don't like the idea of the leads plugging in the silt then you can either feather the cast or unplug the lead out of the silt after the cast. I do neither as I'm happy with the lead and bait being in the silt (and so, it appears, are the fish).

Rob.

Thanks guys, take on board all you've said and will have to have a fiddle around till I get it right. Great Help !!!

Polly,

I know the reply is a litle late but here goes.

I fish an inline, i put a ruber ball about a foot from the swivel to stop the lead.

I will then balance the bait with rig putty, just before I cast out I cut a piece of high riser in half, squeese the two pieces together over the hook point, this way I know the hook is not in the silt(heavy), the pieces of high riser come to the surface after a while, so i know my hook is open. I also use this method in weed.

Roger

Polly,

I know the reply is a litle late but here goes.

I fish an inline, i put a ruber ball about a foot from the swivel to stop the lead.

I will then balance the bait with rig putty, just before I cast out I cut a piece of high riser in half, squeese the two pieces together over the hook point, this way I know the hook is not in the silt(heavy), the pieces of high riser come to the surface after a while, so i know my hook is open. I also use this method in weed.

Roger

Borntofish it's never too late, makes a lot of sense what you say and give me plenty of food for thought. Will need to play around with the ideas and develop my own way. Thanks again Buddy