Isotopes

kestrel

I saw someone fishing with some isotopes their bite indicators, any idea how long these lights last ? They are quite discreet but allow you to see your indicators in the dark.

Do they come in different sizes for different indicators ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I saw someone fishing with some isotopes their bite indicators, any idea how long these lights last ? They are quite discreet but allow you to see your indicators in the dark.

Do they come in different sizes for different indicators ?

I sometimes use them and yes they come in I think 3 colours and 3 sizes. They last about 7\9 hours. Got mine cheap from Lidles £2 for 50 last year.

Isotopes

Sorry John but I don't think you are getting isotopes at that price. I haven't bought one for years but I would guess that they are around £8 each. Real isotopes last for years and years, I can still remember discarding the ones that I bought back in the seventies.

Any decent tackle shop will stock them, I haven't looked recently because those that I bought five or six years back are still glowing.

Please note that doesn't mean that LIDL's whatevers are no good. Next time that I am near one of their shops I will drop in and see what they are selling as isotopes.

Pete

Sorry, I forgot to say that they come in various colours and, I think, several intensities. They are all the same size, as far as i know any isotope will fit any bobbin designed to accept an isotope.

Edited by Pete Elleray

Sorry John but I don't think you are getting isotopes at that price. I haven't bought one for years but I would guess that they are around £8 each. Real isotopes last for years and years, I can still remember discarding the ones that I bought back in the seventies.

Any decent tackle shop will stock them, I haven't looked recently because those that I bought five or six years back are still glowing.

Please note that doesn't mean that LIDL's whatevers are no good. Next time that I am near one of theit shops I will drop in and see what they are selling as isotopes.

Pete

Sorry, I forgot to say that they come in various colours and, I think, several intensities. They are all the same size, as far as i know any isotope will fit any bobbin designed to accept an isotope.

I have wychwood screamer indicators , does anyone use isotopes for these ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Sorry John but I don't think you are getting isotopes at that price.

Well my friend last year lidl’s were selling them in a box of 50’s colours red, blue and yellow for £2. (needless to say they sold out very quick)

You can get them in at least 2 sizes mini which you get 2 in a packet and the other size you get 1. Starlight are the most popular but other makes are now sold. They are designed to fit on midi floats, pull the top out and the starlight takes its place. They also of course fit your swingers or bobbings.

Forgot to say at the same time they were selling in a plastic case 4 remote bait alarms compleat for I think it was either £25 or £30 the same are sold on e-bay for £60.

NEXT TIME they have fishing tackle on special offers I will post on here and let you all know. Most is well rubbish but a few things are great

Edited by johnhere

i have one from the 80's very dim now though ,it glows discretely on my shelf ,theres isotopes and chemical "isotopes" which last a few hours(starlights)

i prefer the modern disposable ones which are brighter anyway and come in sizes that fit floats not sink them.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

they were selling them at poundland aswell. they were 6 inches long ones i bought lasted about 6 hours, they came in packs of 50 in a tube(they were also red, blue and yellow) . they also sold large ones in packs of 2 these were about 3 inches long and an inch thick these were brilliant for rebaiting at night. i cut smaller ones and put them in droppers and perfect to se form bivvie.

84854438.png

they were selling them at poundland aswell. they were 6 inches long ones i bought lasted about 6 hours, they came in packs of 50 in a tube(they were also red, blue and yellow) . they also sold large ones in packs of 2 these were about 3 inches long and an inch thick these were brilliant for rebaiting at night. i cut smaller ones and put them in droppers and perfect to se form bivvie.

I think the ones you are talking about are chemical lights, ones you have to crack to mix the chemicals , they last for hours. The isotopes I saw, last up to 20 years !

I agree about the difference between isotopes (betalights) and chemical lights.

Something else to bear in mind is that if you don't use them chemical lights can lose their effect. You break them but they don't work! :wallbash: For this reason I feel that they should have a use by date on the packet.

Isotopes should work out considerably cheaper than chemical lights in the long run. However losing an isotope in the water is costly, so if float fishing make sure you have a lower breaking strain hooklength below the float.

One further tip when using either of them for float fishing is to shot the float so that part of the stem is also visible. The light is reflected in the water and this means you see 2 lights with a gap in between. It's much easier to detect and read bites this way - the gap disappears as the float begins to submerge.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Sorry people my mistake I was treating isotopes and the ones you snap to get them to glow are one of the same but of course they are not.

That’s what happens when you get older the mind goes lol