Anyone recognise this?

ayjay

Is it a top bit of a broken pawn?

I can see what you mean but I don't think so. It's obviously a moulded plastic something or other, the back(?) is flat, so it's like the top of a pawn but cut down the middle.

Is it what's left of a .177 plastic slug?

No, too big, if it was round rather than flat on the back it would be about 10mm in diameter.

The wife would quite like to know cos she spat it out halfway through dinner on Thursday. All prepared at home, roast chicken, roast spuds, leeks and purple sprouting broc, gravy made from Tesco granules, I suspect it's either come from the gravy or it was somehow lodged in the broccoli.

It looks similar to the plastic baskets that supermarkets display loose produce such as brocolli in. The colour is about right, most of these baskets have a bar at each end which fold down the side to allow baskets to stack inside each other or when on top allow baskets to stand on top of each other without crushing the contents. That could be the end of one of these bars.

Steam rules

It looks similar to the plastic baskets that supermarkets display loose produce such as brocolli in. The colour is about right, most of these baskets have a bar at each end which fold down the side to allow baskets to stack inside each other or when on top allow baskets to stand on top of each other without crushing the contents. That could be the end of one of these bars.

Having been to 'Strescos' today I am fairly certain that that is the end off the hinged bar on the crate. The wide section pushes through a hole in the side of the crate and it hinges at about the broken edge of the piece you have.

Peter

Steam rules

Chris, it's green not blue, and being flat on the back is not very earhole shaped.

It could be a malformed one I suppose, but aren't those type things made from a softer plastic material?

I expect we'll never really know where it came from, the broccoli theory is the most plausible.

Ours comes from the local farm shop and is delivered in wooden crates but it wouldn't surprise me if the suppliers also sell to other outlets and have some of the plastic crates around.