Hello a bit of an oversight

sanctuary

I've been a member on AN for a few years now, but I some how seem to have missed this section of the forum, Snatchers post on the sea fishing chat section brought me here. I have just spent a couple of hours engroused by all the great Photographs here.

My fishing has been some what curtailed over the last 9 months due to my M/S, so in order to keep sane I have combined two other hobbies I have that are with in my capabilities at the moment. Photography and model railways heres an example of what I have been up to.

30316301667.jpg 30316301874.jpg 36316514913.jpg

I have a Sony cydershot digital camera unfortunately it does not have macro settings, it does have video which has also been used on the layout, to make several video clips, which I have enjoyed editing with sound etc.

So Thanks Snatcher for pointing me here :thumbs:

And very welcome you are Sanctuary !! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As you say, some excellent photographs and photographers on here, and some very good advice too !! :clap2::clap2:

Nice shots by the way !! :thumbs::thumbs:

p.s. Watch out for that Snatcher guy !! :unsure::unsure:

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Hi Sanctuary, liked the pics,whats the story there, have you got a whole layout or is it just a hobby where you just make layouts for other people.

Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Welcome Sanctuary, thought you might like these, taken at the Canterbury model railway show a week or two ago.

boatcrop.jpg

DSCN3797.jpg

Never easy in the sort of poor light you get in those halls/sheds..........with a bit of photoshop, that boat would look real :)

Den (done it :) )

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Hi Sanctuary, liked the pics,whats the story there, have you got a whole layout or is it just a hobby where you just make layouts for other people.

Clifftop

Hi Cliff, its a long story but I'll make it as brief as I can (they do say I waffle on ). I used to have a model Railway as a lad until I discovered what Girls were for :sun:,

Aged 25 I first went down with Multiple Sclerosis, I carried on working for a further 10 yrs achieving my goal of a great well paid job, wallop the M/S decided differently I became too disabled to work and was in a poor state physically and mentally.

I could not come to terms with the situation and had to see a shrink, who recommended taking up a hobby that would help with restoring some of my lost faculties hand eye co-ordination and mental thought process etc.

He asked me what hobbies I had as a kid, football and fishing was beyond me physically at that time, when I mentioned Model Railway he said perfect and it was. Within a couple of years I was a lot better and well into the hobby, I was also able to go fishing with assistance and tie my own hooks and strike at a bite with out throwing the rod half way across the bank.

Learnt to take my time and do things with in my capabilities only trouble is M/S decides to throw the odd hammer into the works, and put me back to square 1 every so often so its back to the model railway to start again. Which about bringings us to the present time hence no proper fishing for the last 5 months.

The present layout is 10 yrs old and still only 50% finished for a fuller explanation and details about its construction see Here theres a few videos on there that show it in action.

My son in law took me to the slipway were our club launches the boats, to day to see them returning to shore. The weather was perfect, for sitting on boats drowning worms, as the fish were not biting, I came away with a touch of sunburn which was a nice bonus.

poledark those are very nice shots of the exhibition, I struggled recently at the Wigan exhibition and to be honest I'm still an novice when it comes to Photography as can be seen Here with my results being no where near as good as yours, I was happier with the video that I made Here

So there I go waffling on again, any way you get the picture I hope.

Edited by sanctuary

Welcome mate :thumbs: enjoy the crack. Why not enter the current biweekly comp? the theme is "cloud formations".Go for it my son :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Interesting that you got good results with the video Sanctuary, I spoke to a couple of guys who said they now only used video at these Exhibitions, as they had trouble with stills.

I had to discard quite a few pics due to shadows from the flash.........

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

I took the liberty of photoshopping one of your pics Sanctuary..

Your original..

Wigan_Model_Railway_Exhibition_015s.jpg

I adjusted the colour and sharpened..

Wigan.jpg

Den

Edited by poledark

Interesting that you got good results with the video Sanctuary, I spoke to a couple of guys who said they now only used video at these Exhibitions, as they had trouble with stills.

I had to discard quite a few pics due to shadows from the flash.........

Den

I find that flash is very difficult to use on the layout, not only shadows, I find it bleaches the colour out of the subject.

When constructing the model, painting is part of the illusion, its similar to painting a picture, background is blue to impart further away, foreground colours are warmer reds, flash kills this, unless of course your doing it under studio conditions. Jostling with a host of other enthusiasts at an exhibition is not the best conditions to get perfect pictures.