Perch under the bank

Vagabond

Went out again this morning, but a gale started as soon as I set up, and perch don't like windy conditions - certainly not at this location. However, once there I gave it a go for a few hours, but all I got was a long hollow-bellied carp which was about 20% below par, condition-wise. Packed up just before 11 am to go home and watch the Test match, but it was raining at Headingley.

I blame Gozzer on both counts. :bangin:

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Went out again this morning, but a gale started as soon as I set up, and perch don't like windy conditions - certainly not at this location. However, once there I gave it a go for a few hours, but all I got was a long hollow-bellied carp which was about 20% below par, condition-wise. Packed up just before 11 am to go home and watch the Test match, but it was raining at Headingley.

I blame Gozzer on both counts. :bangin:

Whoa there Dave, I've been a victim this morning as well. I was going to give my grass, ( hesitate to call it a lawn), a much needed cut. As the weather man had said just occasional showers, I thought I could nip out, and get at least part of it done. I assembled everything in a clear blue sky, only to have a sudden 'tropical' down pour from seemingly nowhere, drench everything, me included. By the time I'd put everything away, I was like a drowned rat. April showers at the end of May?

On the subject of those lost fish, is it possible it was large eels that snagged you up? I've been fooled by the initial fight of decent sized eels when catching perch. The 'bump, bump', 'nodding donkey' effect on the rod tip, often feels the same at first.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I was going to give my grass, ( hesitate to call it a lawn), a much needed cut.

On the subject of those lost fish, is it possible it was large eels that snagged you up?

Yep, clearly your fault ! You triggered Murphy's law. :)

There are certainly some similarities between the fights, but perch are quicker to find cover

However, I think not - the first trip I was snagged, but got the fish free - and it was a perch !

The second trip the fish (Norma's) tried to snag - and it was a perch.

The third trip the fish snagged, it was too quick (IMHO) to be an eel

This morning, the only fish hooked (carp) behaved quite differently - instead of diving down and towards me (and into the roots) it dashed around in circles in that not very intelligent way that carp do.

....and for what its worth I have never caught an eel in this pit, there is no club record of any eels and the pit is right at the top of the watershed between a railway and a road. I'm not saying there are no eels there, but it would be extremely difficult for elvers to get there. Lots of people have fished there over the years with lobworms, and the lack of eel captures seems strange if they are present.

BTW the lost fish snagged about 3 to 4 ft down in a root screen over water just over 6 ft deep - typical perch behavior.

...and the cricket has now started, so I am partially mollified.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

Yep, clearly your fault ! You triggered Murphy's law. :)

There are certainly some similarities between the fights, but perch are quicker to find cover

However, I think not - the first trip I was snagged, but got the fish free - and it was a perch !

The second trip the fish (Norma's) tried to snag - and it was a perch.

The third trip the fish snagged, it was too quick (IMHO) to be an eel

This morning, the only fish hooked (carp) behaved quite differently - instead of diving down and towards me (and into the roots) it dashed around in circles in that not very intelligent way that carp do.

....and for what its worth I have never caught an eel in this pit, there is no club record of any eels and the pit is right at the top of the watershed between a railway and a road. I'm not saying there are no eels there, but it would be extremely difficult for elvers to get there. Lots of people have fished there over the years with lobworms, and the lack of eels seems strange if they are present.

BTW the lost fish snagged about 3 to 4 ft down in a root screen over water just over 6 ft deep - typical perch behavior.

...and the cricket has now started, so I am partially mollified.

Better than grangers law

'anything i say the opposite happens or nothing at all'

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Weather? You should have been where we were this week - Ardgour, near Fort William. At one point it was sunny on one side of the cottage and chucking it down on the other!

I caught some little brownies from the loch on traditional wets, but pulling wets seems an awful lot like pulling a cat's whisker. The wind was making casting a team of bushy flies tedious and I was catching as many on the flies before they could sink as while pulling, so I switched to a dry hopper. About the only thing in the vicinity that was dry!

Nephew had not practiced his fly casting and got frustrated. Niece had, and was ok on the driveway but couldn't cope with the wind. The next day was even windier, so I broke out the light spinning rods. Niece and I had a nice afternoon getting soaked through and catching plenty of little brownies. She caught the largest trout of the holiday, and the only eater. I let her decide whether to keep it or not, and she let it go. On the way back, she found a piece of antler, which is now a treasured souvenir.

A little one

7DAB6C87-383D-4ED1-94E4-290EB378B0A6_zps

The big one

44F444FB-9A44-4A72-B3AE-1B748B443DCD_zps

Edited by Steve Walker
  • Like 3

Nephew had not practiced his fly casting and got frustrated. Niece had,

Yep, typical of kids that age. Nice pics

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

Yep, typical of kids that age. Nice pics

Thank you!

He's difficult. Won't put any effort into anything and gets frustrated when he doesn't get instant results. Tried to take him back to basics with the roll cast, but as soon as my back was turned he was ineffectually whipping the line back and forth to try to copy his sister. Robson Green has created the interest, but over-inflated the expectations of effortless results.

I'll try again when he's a bit older.