Bayford Lakes. Hertfordshire

Scatman

Has anybody fished this recently? have fished one 2 night session, had lots of carp, all quite small, and one cat of just over 10lb. Thinking of going up again this year, has anyone got any advice as to where to fish on the lake, bait, time of year etc.

Any advice appreciated!!

Has anybody fished this recently? have fished one 2 night session, had lots of carp, all quite small, and one cat of just over 10lb. Thinking of going up again this year, has anyone got any advice as to where to fish on the lake, bait, time of year etc.

Any advice appreciated!!

Hi Scatman, Welcome to AN.

I haven’t fished the lake for a while even though it’s only a couple of hundred yards from my house. I always thought the best swim is the front swim as you come down the track. Fish around and between two larger Islands, also in the summer try dog biscuits in the open area in front of you.

The back swim is also good, put your baits close to the over hanging branches of the Island to your right. I hooked something there the last time I went that put a good bend in my rod before my hooklink gave way, probably one of the larger cats in there.

As for baits, I always seemed to do ok using luncheon meat.

I've been meaning to give it another go myself, maybe I'll try for one of those big cats in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that! When we fished it, we were in a small swim at the bottom of some wooden steps. I think it was quite shallow off there, with lots of lillies to fish to. We did fancy getting on the swim behind the island if possible next time.

Will put a post on when we are coming up!!

Are there many cats in there - enough to make them a viable target? :thumbs:

Hi Anderoo,

There does seem to be quite a few in there considering it's a small lake. A mate had one of about 17lb out last summer whist fishing for carp. I've been told they go to about 35lb, but I've only had little ones.

I'm certainly thinking of targeting them the next time I fish there.

Andy

Hi Anderoo,

There does seem to be quite a few in there considering it's a small lake. A mate had one of about 17lb out last summer whist fishing for carp. I've been told they go to about 35lb, but I've only had little ones.

I'm certainly thinking of targeting them the next time I fish there.

Andy

Sounds like it might be worth a cast in warmer weather!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 1 year later...

I used to fish the Lea at Bayfordbury next to the B158 just north of this lake but I was unaware that the lake was in the vicinity. Looks nice.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)