New tank.

Guest Ferret1959

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't put to many plecs in your tank.

They will fight. :(

Oh crap!! I didn't know this and havn't read it anywhere. My partner has been getting at me to buy her a tank of her own to put guppies in so I may have to put one in there if they don't get on.

Thanks for the heads up.

Your tanks looking good by the way. Just one question though; arn't you supposed to leave a new tank for a few weeks before introducing fish??

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Just one question though; arn't you supposed to leave a new tank for a few weeks before introducing fish??

Ant

The best thing to do after putting in aquasafe (or similar) is to put 3-6 small fish in (depending on the size of the tank) so that you can build up bacteria which breaks down nitrite which is deadly to fish.

Failure to put fish in slowly and put a lot in straight away means that the filter cannot deal with the amount of toxins in the water and won`t filter anywhere near as it should do.

To put it simply.

In a 4 foot tank, put 4 fish in to start with (smaller fish) and wait at least 10-14 days before you introduce another 4 and follow this cycle until you have the desired amount. Ideally in a 4ft tank which is 48 inches, you shouldn't go over 48 inches of fish. Anything more than 48" then you`ll have issues with toxins and other things.

Guest Ferret1959

I treated the water and it was up to temp.

I had a bit of a crisis with another tank I have,(bacteria bloom) so had to transfer all my small and young fish somewhere.

So it was a make or break situation.

As it happens I haven't lost a single fish.

I'm running two large external filters plus a bit of air to give some surface movement.

Been moving fish from my four foot tank 5 or 6 at a time over the last week, everything seems fine at the mo.

I think the water must be good as I have a pair of chiclids already playing mums and dads. :)

The rocks and coral gravel I used is second hand so this may have been the saving point providing an active group of friendly bacteria for my filters.

Did very well on Ebay the other day.

Metal halide lighting is very expensive for fish tank lighting but as an ex-sparky I looked down the industrial lighting side of things.

Well as it happens I bid on some brand new 70w M/H light fittings but didn't make the reserve.

The seller only gave me a second chance offer at the price my max bid was. :)

So off to COLLECT(been caught before on second chance offers) my PAIR of complete light fittings priced at £124+vat each for the very not to be sniffed at price of ....................£31.00..........31 quid...........I still can't beleive it. :):lol: