Best knot for eyed hook - dexterity problems.

philocalist

philo,

I agree, there has to be some "apples and oranges" differences and common sense has to be applied.

Phone

(also the time when the tests were taken - many are pretty old - at the introduction of a new class of line - )

The knot I find easy to tie, and use on both spade end, and eyed hooks, is one I didn't know the name of, until now.

http://www.marinews.com/knots/fishing-knots/fishing-knots/braid-to-terminal/how-to-tie-snood-knot/2/6/16/327/

To pull tight, you pull the bottom/tag end, and not the hook length above the hook, so no chance of a 'pigs tail' above the knot. If you leave enough of the tag end, you can even use it as a 'hair'.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

That's how I tie spade ends.

That and the tucked blood knot are the two main ones I've used for most of my angling life. They are so easy to tie I can almost do them with my eyes shut.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I would guess the issue is compounded by the various lines etc we have access to.

I use Prologics XLNT 8lb which is an ultra fine mono; 0,22 in fact.

so in a lot of cases my 8lb line is virtually as fine as some standard 6lb mono etc

Kiri, I don't call that "ultra fine" I have an 0.18 line on a couple of my spools which is rated at over 9lb bs! It's called Teklon Gold

Edited by Maddog

Colin
My Website

My Blog (mostly Match Fishing)

Ironically, after all of this I noticed that on the spool of the line I intend to use for these hooklengths (Drennan Supplex), there is an open endorsement for the 'technically superior 5-turn Grinner knot'. Although it's my intention to use the 0.18mm 5.8lb stuff produced on 50m spools for hooklengths, the 5lb BS Supplex of the same diameter (but on 100m spools) is quoted as achieving breaking strains of 5.8lbs!

I've no idea whatsoever about why what is apparently the same line should have a different BS for the same diameter, according to the spool size, and the site gives nothing away ... anyone know why this might be? maybe the 50m spools have been pre-stretched or something in preparation for the intended use (of tying hooklengths)

Well - perhaps I can round this off with some specific advice and recommendations from a highly respected company within angling - Drennan themselves.

This is a copy-and-paste from a response I've just received to an email I sent earlier asking for advice / clarification:

We use the 5 Turn Grinner (Uni knot) as a guide because it is a very commonly used knot, people know it well and it is strong. Other similar knots are going to give you equal or similar results. However, knots such as the Half Blood are noticeably weaker and nowhere near as strong as a Grinner. The Improved Clinch (essentially a tucked Half Blood) will be better than a basic Half Blood/Clinch. Also passing the line twice through the hook’s eye helps improve things also.

Good enough for me - I was tending towards using the Grinner anyway, based upon the fact that I find it a very easy knot to tie, and perhaps more importantly, much easier than any of the others to tighten up / bed down properly without incurring line curl / overlapping knot turns etc - and it also finishes very neatly, which I like.

I've used the tucked half blood knot since I first started fishing, it was the first knot I learned to tie. I've heard and read how unreliable it is, and it's habit of slipping, but I can honestly say, I can't remember it ever letting me down. I've had line break where I've had shot, break on my lighter hook length, and even straightened hooks on snags, but never on the knot itself. Because of this, I have confidence in it, and I think that's a big part of it.

John.

Well - perhaps I can round this off with some specific advice and recommendations from a highly respected company within angling - Drennan themselves.

This is a copy-and-paste from a response I've just received to an email I sent earlier asking for advice / clarification:

Good enough for me - I was tending towards using the Grinner anyway, based upon the fact that I find it a very easy knot to tie, and perhaps more importantly, much easier than any of the others to tighten up / bed down properly without incurring line curl / overlapping knot turns etc - and it also finishes very neatly, which I like.

the grinner is a good knot;

it can be limiting on smaller hook sizes if you pass the line through the eye twice though...hence why I use the clinch knot on smaller sizes and the grinner (with a double pass through the eye) on larger hooks.

but as Gozzer says; its confidence in the knot and how you tie it that matters. I know both the knots I use and how I tie them work for me.