Fishing Thailand

FishThailand

Here are some very new, recent updates (not published anywhere else) about Bungsamran \ Bungsamlan Lake - the Bangkok fishing venue which produces catfish and carp over 200lb's. Bungsamran has undergone a 'face lift' recently - all of the old original fishing bungalows have been removed and replaced with brand new more luxurious ones. This is good news for some and bad news for others - depends on what you like. Personally I liked the original ones more as it was more rustic and authentic. However the new ones admitably are much more comfortable - espeacially for those who wish to experience a night fishing in Thailand session! Also 300 Mekong giant catfish have been stocked into Bungsamran weighing between 70kg - 140kg - yes KG not lb!!! 300 extra fish in Bungsamran is a drop in the ocean but this is the heaviest stocking of fish this size since it opened - crazy big!!! Becasue of all of these renovations and big fish stockings - unfortunately the prices have increased - they now charge big bucks for a fishing session - but if you go with a guide you are guarnateed big fish or you don't pay. My guiding service is one of the longest standing - we caught the 2006 heaviest Mekong giant catfish at 198lb. I invite you to read more about this fish and much more information about fishing in Thailand - also other venues. Here is the link for more info.

Fishing Thailand at Bungsamran in Bangkok

These updates may only be of interest to a few of you - after all not everyone has the opportunity to take part in a Thailand fishing holiday - but for those who know or have been fishing in Bangkok before at Bungsamran - this will be valuable information.

Tight Lines.................

post-8639-1172211520_thumb.jpg

post-8639-1172211559_thumb.jpg

Fancy doing a "ticket exchange"? I can offer you a days fishing in my live bait tanks in return for a days fishing in your water? same level of sporting achievment.

Why anyone would want to travel to Thailand to catch an Alligator Gar (that lives in the Southern states of the USA) or an Aripaima (which live in the Amazon) is totally beyond me! As for Mekong Catfish,I thought they were now a protected species in the "wild" and thats the only place I would be interested in catching one from! As for the "carp" well I wonder how many dissapointed UK carp boys get there to find a species so far removed from our own Carp its unreal!!

No sorry mate not for me at all! though Im sure there will be many "instant" "globe trotting" "pioneers" that will take you up! I think Fish Sim and the likes have more merit!

Looking forward to all your future posts on angling subjects!

P.S. I will eat my own mouldy dead baits if there are!!

Whilst away though have I missed a thread this was related to?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 1 month later...
Fancy doing a "ticket exchange"? I can offer you a days fishing in my live bait tanks in return for a days fishing in your water? same level of sporting achievment.

Why anyone would want to travel to Thailand to catch an Alligator Gar (that lives in the Southern states of the USA) or an Aripaima (which live in the Amazon) is totally beyond me! As for Mekong Catfish,I thought they were now a protected species in the "wild" and thats the only place I would be interested in catching one from! As for the "carp" well I wonder how many dissapointed UK carp boys get there to find a species so far removed from our own Carp its unreal!!

No sorry mate not for me at all! though Im sure there will be many "instant" "globe trotting" "pioneers" that will take you up! I think Fish Sim and the likes have more merit!

Dear Budgie,

This is perhaps quite outdated now but I feel I should reply to your rather aggressive post anyway.

It is simple, Bungsamran Lake is obviously not a venue for you - so choose not to fish it and leave it at that. There are many like you who prefer other forms of fishing at other venues, equally there are many anglers who come fishing with my team and they have a dream days fishing - everything they wanted in a fishing session and more. Is this wrong for people to enjoy this venue? No it is not - much the same as you are not wrong for not liking this venue - but what is wrong is for you to state your opinion as a matter of fact.

For anglers such as yourself there is a vast choice of fantastic fishing venues in Thailand - we guide people fishing for a multitude of wonderful species from freshwater stingray to snakehead. Our adventures guide anglers into the mountainous jungle regions into natural fishing environments as well as commercial fishing parks such as Bungsamran. Again you have to at least try to comprehend that there are anglers who CHOOSE Bungsamran - equally some choose more natural wild fishing venues with my team.

Your statement regarding UK carp anglers being disappointed with catching Siamese carp from Thailand because they look nothing like UK carp - I am suprised at myself for actually crediting this ridiculous statement with an answer but it has to be said. YES these carp look very different - THEY ARE A DIFFERENT SPECIES - they are Siamese Carp - not mirrors or commons. When people book trips with us they have obviously studied our website and seen countless pictures of this fish - if UK carpers choose to fish with my team for Siamese carp - they are doing so because they are facinated with this specie. NOBODY ever thinks they are like UK carp. I think it is a very tunnel vision statement to assume all UK carp boys are so uncultured that they only want to catch fish that look like the ones at home - I guide many UK carpers fishing in Thailand and they are thrilled to catch different species especially the Siamese carp.

In summary - if you don't like the sound of Bungsamran - don't fish it - fish waters you enjoy. If anyone else feels the same but wants to fish in Thailand then we have plenty of other venues to choose from to suit everyones taste.

Kind Regards

Eddie Mounce

Fishing in Thailand

• 5 months later...
Dear Budgie,

This is perhaps quite outdated now but I feel I should reply to your rather aggressive post anyway.

Hi Eddie, and all,

I do find it amusing when I see negative comments about Bungsamran, or indeed angling destinations outside of Europe that don't happen to have overweight common carp in them! LOL (I recognise that wasn't the point Budgie was making, but I just wanted to put my thoughts on a forum somewhere)

As a keen fisherman (I think angler sounds a bit too snooty), I have carried with me throughout my fishing lifetime the wonder and fascination of a child, about "what could be lurking beneath the surface". And I grew tired years ago of the UK Carp fishing scene, where anglers have got so familiar with their fishing venues and what they contain, that they might as well be fishing in their garden pond! And in that scenario I would have to share some of budgies sentiment that wild is better. Forgive me for perhaps being a little old fashioned in this regard!

Perhaps I should be more worried about checking out the latest bite alarms or trying to figure out which amino acids will work best in my experimental boilie! These are the thoughts that so often run through my mind when I read a negative posting about fishing thailand. But what happened to anglers sense of adventure and mystery? I dont see much point in sitting in a bivvie all year round hoping to catch the venues biggest fish, called "Matilda" (or whatever) in the hope that it might of put on a few more boilie induced ounces than when she made her last appearance. Even if I did buy into this school of thinking, wouldnt I rather be tackling a 200LB carp than a 50lb one? Since that's all most of these guys are worried about;"Hey lets see if we can get Matilda out at 50LB 1oz rather than 50LB dead! And spend 1000's of pounds in a single season doing it. Is that really what angling has become? If so, so be it, I won't knock it since I've done it! But like to think I've escaped that rat trap now.

Thailand is one of the few easily accessable places left in the world where no western angler really knows what the potential is. Even Thailand's famed Bungsamran remains somewhat of an enigma even to it's owners it seems! Talking to guides that have fished the venue since it opened, you regularly get conflicting stories about what was originally stocked, and what has been stocked since. In addition to this, I read stories and see pictures all the time of 100kg plus carp taken from various of S E Asia's Mekong Basin and all its tributary's, by local fishermen. Its also well known that some of Thailands reservoirs now hold 50kg plus Siamese Carp as well as a host of other species, but like fishing any large body of water, these locations represent a real challenge to a resident angler, let alone a visiting one.

The point is I guess that we all have a different view about "What is GOOD fishing?", and well I have to say I've tried most of them! Everything from Big Game Fishing for Marlin of the coast of Fiji, Cook Islands, Maldives...Bivvying Up in UK and Europe after carp, Mahseer Fishing...fly fishing in out Mongolia! You name it I tried it! But for me Thailand wins hands down, not just becuase of its wonderful diversity of fishing opportunities but becuase of the shear lack of interest from those who have not yet given it a try! As the Thai's like to say "up to you!"

Gone Fishin'!

Jules

A nice first post and welcome to you.

I think at the end of the day that all of us who continue fishing for any length of time find places and ways that suit us. I really don't care how others like to fish as long as they don't ruin waters or ruin my fishing.

There is no place I fish regularly where the size of the largest biggun is known and I'm not sure I would like fishing where it was.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 5 months later...

Here is a tuly wild river capture from Thailand caught by our friend Tom on 26/12/2007 from the Ban Pakong River 80 kms east of Bangkok. The Ban Pakong River is over 145 kms long with widths of over a mile in places and depths reaching 15m . The Ban Pakong River is a tidal river which is affected by tidal movements from the nearby Gulf of Thailand and is one of the most challenging rivers I have ever encoutered. The Giant Freshwater Stingray was estimated to have a weight approaching 200 kgs and is the largest example of this species ever captured in Asia. Tom was aided in the capture by fishsiam owner Wuttichai Khuensuwan aka Boy and other team members Ohm and Q.

post-13853-1203061880_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...