Updating Tomtom

ayjay

Yes

Wanna share?

Timeframe is a bit short, trying to get my bro-in-laws updated while he's here, he doesn't have broadband at home.

Have tried the Tomtom website but unsuccesfully so far.

Hiya, have you tried this ???

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17 :D

Or this ???

http://www.gps-data-team.com/Live_Help/use...=4&answer=8

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Thanks Norrie, I'll pass those links on for when he's somewhere with broadband access.

I think we were doing everything correct but it seems Win 98 might be too old for Tomtom.

Biggest problem was it took nearly an hour (either side of dinner and a few glasses of wine) to achieve a log-in with two computer illiterates standing behind me trying to remember which combination of email and password (if any) had been used to register.

Melpen, you've been added to my shitlist.

Thanks Norrie, I'll pass those links on for when he's somewhere with broadband access.

I think we were doing everything correct but it seems Win 98 might be too old for Tomtom.

Biggest problem was it took nearly an hour (either side of dinner and a few glasses of wine) to achieve a log-in with two computer illiterates standing behind me trying to remember which combination of email and password (if any) had been used to register.

Melpen, you've been added to my shitlist.

When I bought my Tom Tom 510 all was fine until I downloaded the new version of the software. After the download the computer went to lesss that half speed and was generally a real pain. Uninstalled the updated software and all was fine again.

Don't ask me why??

Colin

If you download the TomTom Home program, you only have to plug you sat-nav into the computer and it should take care of all the updates for you. I wouldn't have thought Windows 98 would have been the problem, but if it is an old computer, have you checked to make sure there is plenty of disk space available? Your computer may be using the hard disk to supplement the memory and it could be that there is very little space left for it to work with. You might also have loads of temporary files that need to be cleared out.

IL System Wiper will prevent your computer from getting clogged up with junk, but make sure you use its facility to protect any cookies that retain all your passwords.

http://www.iisoftware.net/index.php?clean.html

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

If they are running Win98, download and install this update. It reads as if it is purely to help DUN (dial up networking) but in reality, it was a major update to all the networking pieces of the 98 OS.

If it was already updated, this will do no harm. If it was not, you/they will see huge improvements in some aspects of internet use.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285189

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's me that runs Win 98 Newt; update downloaded and installed, but Tomtom Home still says it will only work with a newer version of Windows.

My bro-in-law was told by Tomtom that he would need a broadband connection to download updates and he is only on dial-up, hence the need to do it while he was here - (we have actually been out fishing most of the time <_< ).

They've gone back to Carrot-cruncherland (Ipswich) now so he'll just have to wait until the Tomtom and broadband and Win2000 (or later) can be brought together somehow/somewhere.

Many thanks for all help and suggestions here and Dean's pm.

There was a bonus to the weekend, Tony caught his first proper barbel, he's had a couple of tiddlers before but never a decent sized one,

- and here is the old boy with his fish ( I always put him in the best swims you know).

img1109gi3.jpg

Sorry to hear it won't play nice with 98 but you should notice some improvements with the DUN update unless you already had it loaded.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President