Irish holidays

Andrew

Does anyone still go to Eire for the fishing ??

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Over 10 yrs since i last went dont hear anything aout it now.

I suspect people are more interested in going to france and spain for the cats and carp than going to Ireland for the craic.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I think both Ireland and Sweden have suffered from the rise of carp angling, the availability of foreign big fish venues (Carp in France, Catfish in Spain and exotics in places like Thailand etc), The growth of UK commercial fisheries where you can bag up in ways that never used to be possible and the mismanagement of predator stocks.

It's hard to justify the expense of a trip to Ireland to catch what you can catch locally.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

France has the carp and cats if that is what you want.

It also offer masses of opportunity for general coarse angling in lakes and rivers, all free for the purchase of a license.

A friend of mine, a decent angler to be fair, recently caught 130lb of bream on our local river, fishing the feeder.

Many rivers contain barbel and there are quantities of roach, tench, perch, zander and pike.

Most French anglers don't fish much for what they call "white fish"

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Racist swines! :angry:

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Over 10 yrs since i last went dont hear anything aout it now.

I suspect people are more interested in going to france and spain for the cats and carp than going to Ireland for the craic.

I started off fishing around Balleyconnell years ago, Killashandra, Bawnboy, etc etc. I think the first time i went only cost me about £120 B&B for 6 nights 7 days. If you could not get a ton out in 3 or 4 hours you were wasting your time. One place was Trinity Lough, tench heaven, another was Ardan Lough ( sp ) again tench heaven, we found a few cracking tench venues, Bream Fishing was the likes of Garadice etc.

I have chums over the border, was invited by one of them to stay with him for a weeks fishing, Jumped at the chance. Fished the River Bann. loved it, the catch rate was terrible, but well worth the big dog roach we were pulling out. Bream were few and far between, but i have always said its being there that counts, its great to bag up, but i would not let it spoil my holiday, people do that.

We used to saty at the Woodford Lodge, Balleyheady, but Mick Priest has decided that the B&B is no longer viable, he has gone into bait big time, hes a main player in worm production there now.

PS

A week at Anglers Rest now with Francis NcGoldrick, B&B would be almost £300 for a week, on top of that, baits, beer food etc. Would be around £600 for a week i would guess ?

Edited by Andrew
  • Like 1

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

• 2 weeks later...

Sportsman, I see you live in the northern part of France. Can you recommend anywhere suitable for a short fishing break (say 5 days) where there is

- good rudd fishing and/or

- good river roach fishing where you could expect to get fish over 1lb and/or

- somewhere where you could expect to catch black bass?

Thanks

John

France has the carp and cats if that is what you want.

It also offer masses of opportunity for general coarse angling in lakes and rivers, all free for the purchase of a license.

A friend of mine, a decent angler to be fair, recently caught 130lb of bream on our local river, fishing the feeder.

Many rivers contain barbel and there are quantities of roach, tench, perch, zander and pike.

john clarke

Hi John

Most of the rivers in Northern France tend to be wide and relatively slow flowing. Fishing the feeder with worm or corn will certainly catch good roach, if you can get past the bream. If I had to choose one river it would be the Blavet in Brittany. Good fishing just about everywhere, but again, lots of bream. It was reckoned to be the best coarse river in France a few years ago. I don't think that will have changed much.

The Nantes / Brest canal in the same area I know contains Black Bass, although I have never fished for them. It also fishes well for tench, roach and, of course, bream. Many small farm type ponds in the area will contain very good rudd, along with tench and perch.

You will notice that I haven't mentioned carp. Well, they are there at all of these venues, so always on the cards.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I have just returned from Ireland, went from 14/5/15 to 23/5/15 including journey days in a group of 8 anglers based at Shannon Harbour, have been going since 1989 so know the local venues to fish at this time of year. We arrived to find the Shannon and Suck rivers in the fields and the weather was atrocious for the first few days of the trip with low temperatures, rain, hail and extremely high winds which improved slightly on the last few days

We still managed to catch everyday wherever we went. The days of 100lb bream bags are gone basically because there are so many roach on every single venue and in certain places I am sure the volume of roach in the rivers has pushed the bream out, in saying that the quality of the roach fishing was outstanding in quantity and quality with fish up to 2lb and the average size being 6oz - 8oz. I would say of our total catches 95% were roach, we did also catch pike, perch, rudd, hybrids, tench and the odd eel. On the eight days fishing we had we saw one other visiting UK angler.

There is still quality fishing to be had but knowing exactly where to go is a bonus and we did not really fish at the optimum times of early morning or late evening..

The Guinness has not changed though, it was magnificent!!!!