disgusted

fish4life

It's these idiots who do the most damage to our reputation. Litter is not the only problem. Every time I go down to my local river I found the usual plastic bags, empty bait and lager tins plus usually loads of line with hooks still attached. As we all know, this causes massive damage to all sorts of wildlife. Nothing more upsetting (or more fuel to the anti brigade) than seeing a bird hung from a tree wrapped in fishing line. I usally come back with more tackle than I went with. You can tell they are crap anglers by the type of tackle (i.e. thick line, huge hooks, dodgy float selection) they use. Still, you hardly ever see baliffs or EA staff on the banks, so the policing is entirely inadequate, and it's left to the more concerned amonst us to clean up their crap.

It's not always the free waters Steve, and it's not always anglers. The water I mentioned was, (it's now a housing estate) leased by several different bodies, a local tackle shop, a local club, as well as various individuals, over the years. It was the only fishing in the area that was available for disabled anglers, as well as handy for pensioners and youngsters in our area. Several of us (with permission from whoever controlled it at the time), used to undertake the job of looking after the water. This included weed clearing, general maintenance, as well as checking tickets and rubbish clearing.

That's a shame. Maybe the clubs I've been in have been better able to enforce their rules? By and large they haven't allowed day tickets, which must count for something. Some have had waiting lists for membership, so the threat of losing your card means something, others have been small clubs with mandatory attendance at meetings (and the risk of a dressing down from the committee). Those which have allowed day tickets have either been a bit remote or else very heavily bailiffed. The worst waters I can think of were close to rough estates, nominally day ticket, but owned by the local councils which never bothered to send anyone round to collect the monies or police the rules.

It's just sheer ignorance and lack of respect for themselves, wildlife, other people and their environment. I'm absolutely appalled by some of the mess I find. I regularly bring home a bag of someone else's rubbish.

We have a small but very lovely local pond here, in the grounds of a beautiful National Trust property. There are no rubbish disposal facilities actually on site, as it's so small and isolated, but that's no excuse. The fishing is exclusive to club members. How much effort does it take to bag your rubbish up and carry it home? Each time I go up to fish, I have to spend several minutes before I can start, clearing up the mess other anglers leave behind. I don't have to, but I'd hate anyone to think that I was responsible for it.

I try not to leave any sign that I've been there. I wish others would do the same.

Janet

Join the club its my pet hate at the moment, the state of the banks on the trent where i fish look like a refuse ammenity site! It got to the stage where i phoned my club up to complain left a message on the answer phone and still im waiting for a call back {didnt mention what my problem was} :angry:

im lucky the club waters i fish are allways clean and i feel very lucky because of this but when i do go to commerciels and the place is a tip there is only so much you can do before your days fishing is turnd into a volenteer day.

hounestly some of the places are so filthy the there in danger of being mistaken for landfills

if life treats you wrong just go fishing if life treats you well just go fishing infact, just go fishing

There was a brief time when I really thought the days of litter were comming to an end.It seems though that I was wrong! the most worrying trend ive found locally is that a lot of modern day baillifs just cant be bothered or dont seem to care enough to pick up litter either! To busy being the "man" to the kids instead of educating them not to leave their crap! And it aint just the kids either!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

There was a brief time when I really thought the days of litter were comming to an end.It seems though that I was wrong! the most worrying trend ive found locally is that a lot of modern day baillifs just cant be bothered or dont seem to care enough to pick up litter either! To busy being the "man" to the kids instead of educating them not to leave their crap! And it aint just the kids either!

have taken on board what has been mentioned and it would appear that the problem is widespread,i have since been in touch with my 2 local tackle shops and both have now put notices up in there windows,alot of people love to fish the brooke and i for one would be deeply upset if the chance to continue fishing there was taken away by the mindless idiots,on a lighter note fished on sunday with no joy,but simple enjoyed getting out there.