My day fishing with Martin James

Janet

You'll love flyfishing Janet! Especially after some tuition. I taught myself and it took a long time to iron out all the bad habits (and some are here to stay!). There's nothing like it for true hunter fishing, travelling light, seeking out the fish and being aware of the fly life, what's hatching, how to mimic it, the joy of casting a fly line - it's fantastic! (You can probably tell I'm looking forward to srping and trout fishing; it's nice to put the coarse gear away for a few months.)

And welcome Kennet Wanderer!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOops! Am I in the naughty corner?

Course not (hence the ;) ) - some don't approve of Fishing Magic for historical reasons to do with allegedly biased reviews of iffy tackle, but I look at it fairly regularly (as you now know!), as well as one or two others. Most people have a favourite site that they spend most time on, plus others that they dip into now and again.

Just pulling your leg! :)

Glad to know Martin is "still up and about". Met him many times on the Ribble when I lived closer, even when he wasn't fishing he'd be walking up the bank with his camera. No wonder he knows it like the back of his hand, top bloke.

I can't believe how much I've learned in just one short day. Keeping it simple and having confidence is vital, as is watercraft,

Have only just found this thread - Well Done, Janet !

The style and content of your brilliant write-up shows just how much you have learnt - more in one day than many achieve in half a lifetime.

I won't add "good luck" for your next trip, as if you carry on as you have started, luck won't enter into it :thumbs:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks for that Vagabond, although I still need all the help I can get!

I hope I've learned something from it. Well, I'm sure I have! I've been out early every morning before work since, now we have these light mornings, walking the stretch of river I hope to fish this weekend. I've seen the level go up and down like a yo-yo, and I think I know where the best spots are likely to be. I've actually seen a few fish lurking under an overhanging tree and a deeply undercut bank. Whether I can actually catch one is another matter!

One thing's for sure though - I'm going to have a lot more confidence this time, having seen a real expert at work, and if I don't land something, it won't be for want of trying!

Janet

Janet, I've just e-mailed Elton with a link to this topic. He's so busy though it may take a little while before your piece goes onto the articles section

Don't worry about the article appearing on Fishing Magic, some anglers will look at just one site and so having the article on both sites will give it more exposure.

Fishing Magic's a really excellent site and I often look in myself, especially the articles and reviews. Unfortunately though I haven't time to post on more than one Forum.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net