Fuji Finepix S3000

Norfolkdan

Hi guys,

Know someone selling a Fuji Finepix S3000 for a decent price and was wondering if anyone has experience with them?

I understand Fuji Finepix are great camera's so it got my attention.

I would mainly be using it for fishing, so as long as it took a decent mug shot I'm not too bothered.

A self timer would also be handy, not sure if it has one?

Also like to take a few scenery/landscape shots, so was wondering if anyone knows if it's okay for that sort of thing?

Many thanks, Dan

B0000D8Q9G.01._AA200_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Dan

Dan,

What do you consider to be a good price?

I bought one quite a while back, as I'd just been fishing with Julian and he was using the S304, which I think was its predecessor. You can see his review of it here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/index.php?news=322

I use mine for fishing. It's a great little camera for the money. Probably a bit outdated now, but it certainly gets the job done.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Dan, if your looking for a camera for self-portraits I'd strongly suggest you buy a camera with a flip-round screen. It makes self-portraits so easy as you can see yourself on the screen as you hold the fish - in fact it's the one feature I wouldn't now want to be without. It's also handy in lots of other situations as well.

A self-timer is obviously essential. On my Canon I can set the timer to delay anything from 1 to 30 seconds, and it will then take up to 10 pics without having to touch the camera again! I don't therefore have to put the fish down, or fiddle with remote releases or remote controls. So good for the photographer, and good for the fish.

If you're going to take pics at night or even in poor light I suggest you make sure the camera has focus assist. This means that the autofocus will work in more or less complete darkness.

As far as I know, of all the cameras on the market only a few of the Canon Powershot compacts have all of these features - no SLR has a flip-round screen by the way.

Look at the Canon S3IS (I have the previous model, the S2IS and am very impressed with it). It has a 12x zoom lens and image stabilisation to minimise camera shake.

Alternatively the Canon Powershot A640 or the A630 would be very suitable. They have just 4x zooms and so are smaller and lighter than the S3IS, and don't have image stabilisation. The only difference I can see between them is that the A640 has 10 megapixels, the A630 has 8 megapixels. Unless you're intending doing giant blow-ups or a lot of cropping 8 megapixels is fine. It's worth bearing in mind that if all the other components are the same then the camera with less megapixels will often have better picture quality in certain situations anyway.

You can check this by looking at review sites. See here for links: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...mp;#entry582934 This page will also give you links to price comparison sites. For instance Pricerunner gives the following lowest prices (including carriage) for the camera alone:

Canon A630 £171.98

Canon A640 £204.98

Canon S3IS £246.98

You'll also need a higher capacity memory card - it's often cheaper to buy this with the camera. Otherwise try 7 Day Shop, who are also good for tripods. Their address is http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777

Thankfully all these Canons take AA batteries that you can buy almost anywhere in the world, and are at or near the top of their class for battery life anyway.

Rechargeables are greener and also work out a lot cheaper and, following Leon's advice, I use Uniross Hybrios. The advantage of these is that they run down much slower when not in use. If you don't use rechargeables for a while you could find that the batteries are almost flat when you need them. You can buy Hybrios from Wilkinsons at £6.99 for 4, or £12.99 with a charger.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net