Zander around London

BoozleBear

I am mainly a pike fisherman, when I get the chance, but like the idea of a spot of Zander fishing.

I live in North London, and generally use public transport to go fishing.

I want to try somewhere around London for some Zed fishing. Don't mind if perch and pike are there too as I love 'em, but want to know a stretch where some zeds are.

Should I go dead on one rod, lure on another?

Which Dead's / Lures are best for zeds? (I understand that they like noise and vibration on a lure / spinner?).

If you mention a particular water please let me know anything you know about ticket pricing, availability etc.

I have no problem spending an hour or so on a train (preferably from Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston, maybe Charing Cross or Paddington).

FYI I don't do livebaiting.

Any tips would be greatfully received.

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I am mainly a pike fisherman, when I get the chance, but like the idea of a spot of Zander fishing.

I live in North London, and generally use public transport to go fishing.

I want to try somewhere around London for some Zed fishing. Don't mind if perch and pike are there too as I love 'em, but want to know a stretch where some zeds are.

Should I go dead on one rod, lure on another?

Which Dead's / Lures are best for zeds? (I understand that they like noise and vibration on a lure / spinner?).

If you mention a particular water please let me know anything you know about ticket pricing, availability etc.

I have no problem spending an hour or so on a train (preferably from Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston, maybe Charing Cross or Paddington).

FYI I don't do livebaiting.

Any tips would be greatfully received.

Cheers,

Simon

From King's Cross you have direct access to the fens - the true home of the Zander in Britain! You'll need a King's Lynn AA ticket to fish the drains (have a look on their website) and if you'll be night fishing you'll need a season ticket. You can fish days on a day ticket though. The relief channel is near the station at Downham Market, but it's a tough venue. For most places you could do with a car really. Have a look on Google Maps or Multimap and try to find somewhere on the KLAA ticket near a station. You could take a bike on the train and cycle to some venues, if you didn't take too much stuff.

For the Zander you really need to night fish though. Maybe a local ANer will offer their services? :thumbs:

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yep definitely some to be found in the Thames, around teddington lock in the cut (had a tiddler of about a 1lb on maggot a coupla

seasons ago!) and rumours of them in the tidal section as well. Not much left of the season though so good luck

Mike

Hi boozlebear,

Yeah there are definately zander in the Thames at Teddington Lock and probably further down the tidal Thames as well. I had 3 or 4 up to about 6lb whilst fishing for pike and perch in the weirpool using small livebaits (usually dace). My brother also caught a 3cm one on maggots whilst we were fishing for the lives, so they are obviously thriving! Also I have seen a photo from when the EA were electrofishing there of a 14 pounder.

Thing is you really need a boat to access the prime spots in the weirpool, and it'd be pretty dangerous going out there at night (especially at this time of year!). I've not really tried for them anywhere else but in the weirpool but I'm sure they'd be around...maybe try down at Richmond or Twickenham (easier to get to from central London as well). However remember that your success is going to be limited by the tide: high tide and the hour before and after are the best in my experience, but the pace of the river makes legering pretty challenging.

good luck

• 5 months later...
Might be worth pm'ing RussellF, I know that he fishes for zander in the Lee and thereabouts. Plenty of pike and perch too.

Nice one fellas, forgot about / lost this thread.

Tempted by a trip to the Fens at some point....

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear