Sand

Andy_1984

In preperation for the tench getting their new home this summer (friend of a friends garden pond) ive been considering sand since im sure ill have a few different types of loaches and bottom feeders.

Play sand was the first thing i thought of but after some reading perhaps not (gas dirt and cloudy etc)

seems pool filter sand is the next best thing but what ive been looking at doesnt look that great. Its shinny for one which i dont like (catch light a certain way) some looks sharp and some far too bright/white.

Play sand imo looks awsome but just those other problems i mention earlier put me off.

So is there filter sand or other sand thats similar to play sand but without the cons of play sand but visually similar ?

Also would like to get some real plants this time around.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I've used silica sand in a planted tank before, but that might be a bit bright white for you.

Could you not just find some nice sand at the edge of a loch or stream and take it home? Give it a good wash, pour some boiling water over it if you're paranoid.

I've used silica sand in a planted tank before, but that might be a bit bright white for you.

Could you not just find some nice sand at the edge of a loch or stream and take it home? Give it a good wash, pour some boiling water over it if you're paranoid.

Been thinking about it. Wouldnt it be a little like playsand. Im thinking from a river or lomond. Kinda compacts a bit though which im sure you dont want ?

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I think whatever sand you use it will have to be put in wet otherwise it may clog the filter if in dry form

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

If you rinse it well enough, it should not cause any problems. You want to get rid of any silt or dirt in it. Just keep stirring it in a bucket, let the sand sink then pour the water off.

In any aquarium with loaches, sand shouldn't compact as long as it's not too deep, they'll keep it turned over (especially if you feed live blackworm or find a clean source of tubifex), play sand does the job just fine, although I collect different colours and grades of sand every time I get the chance. Fish are much happier over sand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...